The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (ApacheFiend, Eureka Jim, tomctomc), 78 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,504
Posts956,887
Members43,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1954 3100 (short bed) YEP ??? Rusty Fuel Tank
Toyvo #1337055 Mon Dec 09 2019 04:13 PM
H
Shop Shark
One of the biggest mistakes I made when restoring my truck was to try and salvage the old fuel tank. It had a lot of gas sitting in it for 23 years before I got it.
When I drained out the worst smelling gas I ever encountered it also had lots of varnish. I had read somewhere this could be removed by tumbling the tank with some gravel in it.
I strapped the tank to the jacked up wheel on my tractor and let it spin for about 20 minutes with pea gravel in it.
Not only did it not remove the varnish but much of the gravel was firmly adhered to the sticky varnish with no way to remove it. Sure glad new tanks were readily available.

Re: 1954 3100 (short bed) YEP ??? Rusty Fuel Tank
Toyvo #1337107 Mon Dec 09 2019 10:33 PM
W
Shop Shark
I found a great gas tank cleaning process.
Buy "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner at The Dollar store. $1 per 64 oz bottle. Mix it 1 part "The Works" to 10 parts water. Let it soak for 24 to 48 hours depending how bad the rust and varnish is. Rinse with water, Coat with Ospho, dry with air gun or leaf blower.
It will be clean!

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop