The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (jacksun, Frank50, joe apple, RoseB, 1 invisible), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,365
Posts977,669
Members44,213
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stuck parts, need advice
BigBlockMan #1324231 Fri Aug 30 2019 10:06 PM
G
Shop Shark
I like the thought of the loose lugnut drive.. Maybe a duckbill type portapower between wheel and drum?

BigBlockMan #1324266 Sat Aug 31 2019 04:07 AM
R
Shop Shark
I was going to suggest that also but the original post said the tires are no longer on the rims.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Rich'sToys #1324268 Sat Aug 31 2019 04:28 AM
B
New Guy
And to further complicate the loose lug drive, which does do wonders, the axle is no longer in the truck. It's all manual labor only. Portapower is on my list of things to try, hoping to not bend the hell out of the rims. I won't be using them but I know guys on here are always looking so trying to save them for others.
I'll hit it again Tues/Wed on my days off...will let everyone know what ends up working.

Chris

Too many to work on
4 bolts, 2 square bodies, 4 GMT400s...and those are the keepers
BigBlockMan #1324292 Sat Aug 31 2019 02:13 PM
H
Boltergeist
How about drilling and tapping a few holes between the lug nut bores (maybe for a 3/8" bolt) and using some Grade 8 bolts as a makeshift press? Some brake drums have those holes from the factory to help remove a sticky drum. It won't compromise the strength of the wheel at all. Just be sure to use a bottoming tap for the final pass when cutting the threads. If the back side of the hub is accessible after removing the wheel and hub assembly from the spindle, you could also thread the hub flange- - - -more thread engagement for a harder push that way.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
BigBlockMan #1324352 Sun Sep 01 2019 01:58 AM
H
Wrench Fetcher
Both fronts were stuck on my 46. Used magic juice(may have found it here). Soaked lug holes and center alignment area with mixed acetone and marvel mystery oil. One required some physical encouragement. The other just fell loose after couple of hours.

BigBlockMan #1324604 Tue Sep 03 2019 03:02 AM
B
New Guy
Update: I got a few hours today to fiddle with this. I tried a modified version of HRLs idea. Since the axle is out of the truck I picked up one end with a set of forks, placed 2x4s under the rim and let the whole rest of the assembly hang while trying heating, beating, cursing, and PB Blaster. Not a hint of movement but I did bend the hell out of a chunk of 6" channel I was using to receive the hammer blows.

So, frustrated, I set the whole setup down again and while walking around it found that the other rim had started to come off.....few well placed blows and off it popped.

This turn of events of course renewed my interest in the side I had been fighting so I thought I'd try the loose lug drive thing....chained the axle to the bucket of my tractor by one of the spring perch holes and took it for a tour in the field on my property. Got some pretty funking looking "crop circles" in my field now but no loose rim. Before I gave up for the night I wire wheeled the hub/rim meeting point and resoaked in PB...….maybe tomorrow.

I do thank you all for the ideas, I may not be smacking the hub center hard enough yet I don't know.....worst case what is the more desirable part involved? Rim or hub.....I'm leaning toward destroying the rim if need be, I'm won't be using either so whichever is more useful for the masses it what I will try to save.

Chris

Too many to work on
BigBlockMan #1324916 Thu Sep 05 2019 05:09 AM
B
New Guy
Update #2: Both rims are free. I was setting up to try some chemical rust remover and noted a gap between the rim and the hub thru one of the unused lug holes...few whacks around the rim and off it popped.

Thanks again for all the advice. Seems like clean/soak/beat rinse repeat was the answer.

Chris

Too many to work on
BigBlockMan #1324922 Thu Sep 05 2019 10:03 AM
H
Boltergeist
Patience, persistence, and the vocabulary skills of a 30-year Master Chief- - - - -they're all necessary sometimes! Isn't one of the requisite skills of a true master mechanic the ability to spew vulgarities for 15 minutes without repeating oneself?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
BigBlockMan #1325056 Fri Sep 06 2019 03:43 AM
R
Shop Shark
grin
It's amazing what a little well placed profanity can accomplish sometimes!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

BigBlockMan #1336641 Fri Dec 06 2019 10:20 AM
S
Wrench Fetcher
"There is no mechanical problem so great, that it can't be solved with brute strength and ignorance" Shackletts' axiom
A 12 lb. "field press", penetrating oil, and the patience of a BB stacker usually works. If all else fails it usually leads to some heat and profanity, and maybe sacrificing a chicken."
"There is no metal so strong, that it can withstand a weak mind" Shackletts' corollary

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop