The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (38 chev, Mike B, AwDang, buoymaker, Johnny N, bobhawkins), 173 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,953
Posts960,644
Members43,521
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Curious how cylinder bores wear out
tom moore #1336436 Wed Dec 04 2019 08:19 PM
T
Shop Shark
Nice.

tom moore #1336464 Thu Dec 05 2019 12:10 AM
Master Gabster
You have the head off, Are there "steam" holes in the head? Are the cylinders siamesed? (No coolant passages between the cylinders.) These would clearly indicate a 261.

tom moore #1336471 Thu Dec 05 2019 12:53 AM
H
Boltergeist
OOPS! I just made my one and only mistake for 2019! Glad the year is almost over! 261's are supposed to have a bore of 3 3/4"- - - -the "16ths." measurement got me off on the wrong track! You've probably got a 261 that's been bored .060" oversize which would be 2 1/2 thousandths shy of 3 13/16. it's easy to miss a 16th. when measuring with a tape measure, etc. Mea culpa!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1336482 Thu Dec 05 2019 02:47 AM
T
Shop Shark
No worries there,Jerry. I talked to my therapist and I’m all better now. 52Carl - yes. Steam holes and Siamese cylinders. These are 261’s.

tom moore #1336631 Fri Dec 06 2019 04:56 AM
F
Fox Offline
The greatest teacher failure is.
Oh that takes me back, Jerry!

I once had a grade 9 kid argue with me one day in math class...He was a piece of work to put it mildly.

“Fractions are stupid. When will I ever use this crap?”

“Everyday,” I replied, “so let’s keep at this.”

“I doubt it. They’re bleeping stupid and you can’t convince me otherwise! I don’t have to learn this stupid bleep, bleep, bleep! When I get outta school I’m going to make a lot of money working hard! I don’t need your bleeping math lesson!”

By this point I’m thinking I gotta get this kid’s attention switched quickly as the class is seeing this argument escalating quickly. This was a class that could very easily go sideways after provocation and I didn’t want to lose all of them because of one twit.

“Well then,” I replied calmly and quietly, as I reached deep for my ace in the hole, dark horse hope, since I knew a little of this kid’s tastes, “what are you going to do when you get out of this stupid, fraction teaching math class of mine when you’re a big boy?”

He puffed right up to the challenge...”I’m going to be a welder!” he barked back with some authority. Ahhhhh...heh heh heh.... Checkmate, I thought as I smiled wickedly.

“Listen up class, ____is going to be a welder when he gets out of this stupid class.” I turned back to the outraged student, “And what do you think welders do ALL day long? Everyday?”

“.... They build stuff....Cut.... Weld!” he stammered back. I wondered if he knew he was dead in the water.

“They do fractions. So, sit down right now, be quiet and don’t you ever do that in my class again. You got that?”

Thankfully he promptly sat and I had a pretty good time with that class afterwards.

One of my favourite teaching stories, but it could have gone very, very poorly as well.

Last edited by Fox; Wed Dec 11 2019 06:16 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
tom moore #1336633 Fri Dec 06 2019 05:16 AM
H
Boltergeist
After spending 30-something years teaching auto mechanics, I can really appreciate the efforts of teachers like you with the perseverance to insist that their students actually learn something. I usually had to teach the physics, chemistry and math principles that my students had refused to learn on the way to a course the counselors considered to be suitable for only the "not college-bound", misfits, troublemakers, and "Special Ed" students. That was before I got around to teaching anything automotive-related!

I had a standing offer for all the counselors, assistant principals, and other administrators who had anything to do with assigning students to my classes- - - - -Free repair work on their cars- - - -parts and labor- - - - -with only one condition: "The kids you send to my class will be the ones working on your steering, brakes, lights, and other safety of operation systems". Now, go ahead and send me the kids who can't sit down, shut up, and take directions without being zonked on Ritalin! Some of them eventually got the message!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
tom moore #1336634 Fri Dec 06 2019 05:35 AM
Shop Shark
Jerry
I was one of those "not college-bound", misfits, troublemakers, and "Special Ed" students.
It was one of the best things to happen to me.
Got accepted into the special school district for Machine Shop, Junior and Senior year of high school.
Machine shop was the major focus and not that other BS like english a social studies.

Speling wasalso not in the teecting! \
Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
tom moore #1336643 Fri Dec 06 2019 10:41 AM
T
Shop Shark
Don I learnt a bit of grammar with you that I had forgotten

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
tom moore #1336651 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:41 PM
T
Shop Shark
If it hadn't been for my shop teacher Mr. Weber I wouldn't have found all the skills I have today. He was very hands on and would caution you away from the big mistakes, and BOY did we make them. He was a great teacher, just liked really ugly cars grin

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
tom moore #1336659 Fri Dec 06 2019 01:43 PM
C
Shop Shark
Machinist apprentices assigned to my mentorship that didn't master fractions in school usually had the wheels fall their career aspirations in short order. In school I thought algebra was the dumbest thing ever...little did I know parametric machine tool programming is mostly algebra and I would work with it daily.

Back on topic Carl's the man! He don't need measuring tools or casting codes...he goes straight for 6 small holes in the deck.

1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod

Photobucket

You Tube

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop