The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (dirtball, 51bowtie, Chris's 46 / 515, Bill Trotter, David Moreau, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,457
Posts965,480
Members43,679
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Freeze Plugs
#1336584 Thu Dec 05 2019 10:31 PM
T
Tommy Online OP
Shop Shark
1959 1/2 ton Apache with a 261 engine, Last year I changed one on the drivers side of the engine. Today the second one on the same side is leaking, so I removed the manifolds and will install a new one tomorrow. Here's the million dollar question, It's been 14 yrs since the engine was built, should I pull the transmission, flywheel and bell housing and replace the one behind the bell housing? I'm thinking it would be in my best interest to do that, I know it will entail a lot of work but I do drive this thing a lot and would not want to spring a leak out on the road. Question number 2 is, the plug kit that I have has 2 concave plugs and one regular looking plug that look to be the same size, they are all larger than the ones on the side of the engine. I know I'm assuming the regular looking one, goes behind the camshaft. So that would mean the concave one would be the freeze plug for the center of the block. Am I correct with my assumption? Any words of wisdom?
Thanks

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Re: Freeze Plugs
Tommy #1336585 Thu Dec 05 2019 10:48 PM
Master Gabster
Don't break it by fixing something. That's how I roll. The freeze plugs you are talking about are hard to get to. Leave them alone until they start weeping. Its not like they are going to blow out and spew all of your antifreeze all at once.
I am not a big fan of Stop-leak, but if one of those hard to get to plugs began to weep, I would use it. Especially if a rebuild was likely to be done in the next 5-10 years. That would be a better time to change them.
Bottom line? Drive it and check everything as you normally would.

Tommy #1336598 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:03 AM
J
Shop Shark
I am definitely with Carl here. Also you can use those expanding rubber plugs for the freeze plugs you can see and reach. They're cheap and quick. They won't pop out if it freezes, but in Metairie I never saw many hard freezes. I once drove a GMC 228 for 2 years + with one of those expanding rubber plugs where the one in the front of the engine used to be.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Tommy #1336645 Fri Dec 06 2019 11:24 AM
T
Tommy Online OP
Shop Shark
Carl and Jon,
Thanks for the response. I really don't want to change the one behind the bell housing, and I do not use stop leak. This engine was rebuilt 14 yrs ago and won't be done again. I will probably go over to the DARK SIDE" small block" before another rebuild. I have used the expandable rubber plugs before, and it doesn't ever get that cold here in Metairie. So I guess I will think about it for a day. It's a lot of work to get to the one behind the bell housing.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Tommy #1336650 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:33 PM
T
Shop Shark
It may be worth your effort to find brass freeze plugs while you are doing this. They tend to hold up better over time than the steel. Just my thoughts.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Tommy #1336758 Sat Dec 07 2019 05:39 AM
M
Shop Shark
Core Plugs, Welch Plugs and Freeze Plugs are what we call the plugs in the side of our engines, these plugs have nothing to do with freeze protection. These openings in the water passage are there to allow the sand from the casting process a place to exit. After the block is cast it goes onto a shaker that shakes it hard enough to break the sand out of the internal passages via these plug openings. After the sand is all out the plug is installed to seal the opening. If your block was to freeze it would break all the way at the bottom of the water jacket way before it would ever pop the plugs...

Mike B smile

Tommy #1336769 Sat Dec 07 2019 01:31 PM
D
Shop Shark
Yes, the concave plug, should be 2 inches, is for the back of the block, the large cupped plug is for the cam.

Attached Files
Last edited by Dragsix; Sat Dec 07 2019 01:32 PM.

Mike
Tommy #1336786 Sat Dec 07 2019 03:17 PM
T
Tommy Online OP
Shop Shark
Thank You for all the responses. I will get further into this sometime over this weekend.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Tommy #1339386 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:27 AM
T
Tommy Online OP
Shop Shark
I'm back, the plug behind the bell housing isn't leaking (yay). So that will be left for another day hopefully no time soon. I was wondering when I put the intake manifold back on do I really need to use the alignment rings? My concern is, when the head was rebuilt a few years ago the machine shop made a cleanup cut on the head to block surface and the manifold surface. So I'm wondering if the rings would keep the intake from seating properly. Any thoughts?

Thanks
tommy

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Tommy #1339390 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:45 AM
T
Shop Shark
This recently came up in another post, and Tim Lederman expressed this same issue or concern. Tim indicated that those rings can prevent a solid or tight fit under these circumstances and the rings would need to be cut or ground down.

Last edited by tom moore; Sat Dec 28 2019 12:45 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop