The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (49shep, 3B, 593ETow, bigedpa, 3 invisible), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,910
Posts960,371
Members43,513
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shimming front body panels
#1336266 Tue Dec 03 2019 07:12 PM
C
Chevron Offline OP
New Guy
I recently bought a 65 pickup. Fair bit of work done to it but needs some attention still. One thing being gaps on front sheet metal. I see that the inner fender, fender mount is shimmed off the firewall both sides on the top only. Upon further inspection i see that the rad support mounts are only 1/4 inch thick pieces of rubber. I am thinking that is the reason the shims were used to get things bolted up. However with that other things are outs wack. Questions are: has anyone seen or shimmed the panels ( the one that the inner fender and fender mount to) away from firewall? Can anyone tell me what stock rad support mount thickness is? I have new mounts on way to make it right. The rest of truck mounts are new and correct as near as i can tell. Thanks for any input

Re: Shimming front body panels
Chevron #1336318 Wed Dec 04 2019 12:05 AM
Shop Shark
I have done this on 2 trucks. I dont recall inner fender shims - attached direct to firewall. I dont recall shims between the inner and outer fenders at the top. Could be done, but none of the assembly manuals and lit I have reviewed has mentioned the shims you describe.
I dont have the dimension of the mounting hardware handy.
I longest vertical gap considered is the fender/door gap. I suppose that gap can be adjusted via extra/fewer washers at the rad support easy enough. There is also play in the cab-side bracket that the lower inner fender bolts to.
Let us know what you find once the new mounting hardware arrives - It should include the diagram for sequence.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop