The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (66flea, carbking, 2ManyTrucks, 69Cuda, 2 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,068
Posts935,318
Members42,772
Most Online1,027
Dec 27th, 2019
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: Justhorsenround] #1336065 Mon Dec 02 2019 04:59 AM
J
jorb Offline
Shop Shark
The crack I think is between the black lines. LINK

xfiles

Attached Files
axle housing crack .75 ton.jpg (94 KB, 98 downloads)
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336070 Mon Dec 02 2019 06:23 AM
K
klhansen Online
Shop Shark
Looks more like a surface scratch to me. Can you get some dye in it to be sure?

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: klhansen] #1336083 Mon Dec 02 2019 02:34 PM
G
glennj3 Online OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by jorb
The crack I think is between the black lines. LINK
Good guess being you can't see it. It is beneath the cover but goes pretty strait to the inside. I'll need to remove the cover to get an accurate picture for you.

Originally Posted by klhansen
Looks more like a surface scratch to me. Can you get some dye in it to be sure?
Are you looking at the tracing that JORB did on the picture ? Sure don't know how he did that! The crack starts at the B but does not go to B.
If I do anything more than watch it to see if it leaks, I thought I would use a dremmal tool, cut into the crack a little and fill it in with JB Weld. That stuff can do wonders!
Still having issues posting pictures from my phone and some pictures do not transfer to my computer either from the phone. I will keep working at it.
Thanks for your input.

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336099 Mon Dec 02 2019 04:50 PM
G
glennj3 Online OP
Shop Shark
Oh Lord, I missed the instructions to pack the bearings with cup grease! I was thinking they were just bathed in differential grease! Gotta pull them off again to pack them!

Last edited by glennj3; Mon Dec 02 2019 04:50 PM.

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336100 Mon Dec 02 2019 05:15 PM
J
jorb Offline
Shop Shark
Differential grease!
I never heard of differential grease, I heard of 90 weight gear lube!
Unless you are packing wheel bearings.

Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336103 Mon Dec 02 2019 05:23 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Don't put cup grease anywhere, even if you can still find a source for it! The stuff has long fibers that will clog up places it shouldn't be. Maybe you could use it on some type of horsedrawn farm equipment that has actual bearing cups on it if it gets used at all! If you want to lube axle bearings, just jack up the rear end one wheel at a time after filling the center section with hypoid gear lube. The oil will run down the axle tubes and flood the bearings.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336110 Mon Dec 02 2019 06:27 PM
G
glennj3 Online OP
Shop Shark
"Grease" (the term) is sometimes used instead of heavy oil (80/90 wt). Sorry about that. I was reading the instructions on the Forum regarding what I am doing presently. It said to pack the bearings in Cup Grease after pouring axle oil on them, so that is where the term came from for me.
That is why I posted above because it seems to me that the gear lube would wash any packing grease out of the bearings and I was looking for a positive answer.
So, I do not pack the bearings with ball bearing grease, I only allow the gear lube from the differential to bathe the wheel bearings?

Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336111 Mon Dec 02 2019 06:53 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
If you grease the axle bearings at all, simply squirt a little rear end lube on them during assembly to prevent them running dry for a few minutes until the lube from the center section makes its way down the axle tubes. If you look at the fill plug hole in the rear cover, you'll see that it's located slightly above the bottom of the axle tubes so lube can run down the tubes and keep the axle bearings wet with oil. This tendency is increased in turns once the lube reaches operating temperature. To assure the axle bearings get sufficiently lubricated after new bearings are installed, I jack up one wheel at a time and run the vehicle in place for a couple of minutes, then do the same thing with the opposite wheel before driving.
Jerry

Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1336118 Mon Dec 02 2019 07:45 PM
J
jorb Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
I jack up one wheel at a time and run the vehicle in place for a couple of minutes, then do the same thing with the opposite wheel before driving.Jerry
Warning if equipped with a limited slip or posi-traction axle,
jack up both wheels before running the vehicle. smile
Also chock front wheels.

Re: Replacing differential seal [Re: glennj3] #1336119 Mon Dec 02 2019 07:47 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
How many stovebolts were manufactured with Positraction rear ends?
Jerry

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop