The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (crenwelge, dsword), 99 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,066
Posts1,018,872
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trying to get the correct size brake shoes
#1335327 Tue Nov 26 2019 04:02 PM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
'Bolter
All of the brake shoes I see on line from Rock Auto etc. if they have measurements on them, I see 14x2. How are they measured? Beginning of metal over brake pad to end of metal?
Mine measure 15 inches x 2. Maybe a tad over 2 inch wide.
I just hate to waste time and money ordering things then having to return them and still not have the correct parts!

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
Re: Trying to get the correct size brake shoes
glennj3 #1335339 Tue Nov 26 2019 05:19 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
The first number is the diameter of the brake drum where the shoes contact. The second number is the width of the lining. Are the brake shoes damaged to the point they can't be relined? The simplest way to assure you get the right parts is to rebuild what you've got. There is a huge quantity of brake lining material available on Ebay, plus the rivets needed to install new linings. relining brake shoes is not rocket science, even if bulk lining material has to be cut to the right length and rivet holes drilled in the right places. Bonded brake linings can be removed by heating the shoes with a torch to loosen the glue they're attached with, and riveting new linings on in their place. Most older brake shoes are drilled for rivets, even if they have been reconditioned with bonded linings.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
glennj3 #1335340 Tue Nov 26 2019 05:19 PM
E
'Bolter
I presume you have original shoes? Just get them reclined, there are plenty of places that do brake shoe and clutch reclining. If you cannot find anyone local, ask on here for someone.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
glennj3 #1335346 Tue Nov 26 2019 06:02 PM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
'Bolter
Great! Placing new lining is what I wanted to do but then again I did not know where to get the correct size. So my the brake drum is 12 inches inside to inside. The lining is right near 2 inches wide, definitely not 2.5 inches. So I will try to order the lining with the rivets, do I just measure my old ones and get that length. I know that sounds dumb!
I have placed brake lining on my Cessna and I have that rivet tool, it should work on the truck too?

A little off subject but in order to now start a whole new blog, I removed the differential drain today in preparation to replace the seals. I was amazed that there are no threads in the plate of the cover! Threads on the plug nut but nothing to screw into. It only had plumbing tape on the threads! Is this normal?

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
glennj3 #1335369 Tue Nov 26 2019 09:32 PM
H
No, that's not normal. Someone has stripped the threads in the cover plate. I'd suggest removing the plate and having a welding shop braze half a pipe coupling to it so you can screw a pipe plug in securely. That would also be a good excuse to clean up the differential housing with some solvent and refill it with fresh gear lube after the cover plate is replaced.

If you choose to use bulk lining material, simply measure the length of the original linings and duplicate them. Clamp the new lining to the brake shoes, drill the rivet holes in the proper place by drilling from the brake shoe side, and countersink the holes in the lining deep enough to prevent the rivets from scoring the drums. A depth stop on a drill press quill will prevent drilling those counterbores too deep. You might be able to find direct replacement linings, but making them from scratch isn't difficult. Some brake linings are different length front and back, so be sure to take pictures and make measurements of everything before you disassemble the brakes.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

glennj3 #1335377 Tue Nov 26 2019 10:19 PM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
'Bolter
Thank you Jerry, the linings are not flexible, correct?
PS, I brought home some aviation 100LL. That stuff will clean anything oil base!

Last edited by glennj3; Tue Nov 26 2019 10:20 PM.

glennj3 #1335380 Tue Nov 26 2019 10:25 PM
H
Bulk lining material comes in a loosely coiled roll, and is slightly flexible. Direct-replacement linings aren't as flexible, and are usually molded into a radius to match the brake shoes. Truck brake shops are usually willing to send hard to find shoes out for relining, but some places charge outrageous prices for what is a pretty simple do it yourself procedure for anyone with a little common sense.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

glennj3 #1335405 Wed Nov 27 2019 02:22 AM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
'Bolter
Great, I found all of these materials on E Bay. Rolls. Wanted to be sure I order the right material. What I am looking at is 2 " , 3/16" woven brake lining. Does this sound right? Also I will have to ask him for rivets. Do I cut the pads to the correct length or do I ask him to do that?
Thanks

glennj3 #1335411 Wed Nov 27 2019 03:43 AM
H
I don't think the woven lining will be best for service brakes. That's usually used to reline parking brake bands. Woven lining material will wear too quickly to have much of a life if it's used for relining the brake shoes. Look for a set of molded linings for a 12" diameter brake shoe. They come in various lengths, and if they're for Bendix-type brakes the lining on the forward-facing shoe will be a little shorter than the one on the rear shoe. If you've got the Huck or Lockheed style brakes both linings will be the same length. How does the brake adjustment system work? Huck brakes have adjusters built into the wheel cylinders, with toothed adjusters that move with the wheel cylinder pistons. Lockheed brakes have a cam type adjuster that is moved with a hex nut adjuster for the backing plate for each shoe. Bendix brakes have a single floating star wheel adjuster that's between the bottom of the brake shoes.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

glennj3 #1335427 Wed Nov 27 2019 10:52 AM
'
Shop Shark
glennj3 ,

Why not do this the easy way .

There's a real nice set of GM NOS brake shoes on ebay .

The price is $44.95 or BEST OFFER .

GM part # 3703513

Go to ebay & type in the search box...........3703513

Then there's no more debate over woven lining material , rivets , size , etc .

You are making this way to complicated for yourself ............IMO .

PIC

https://i.postimg.cc/76Zr7BwT/3703513-Brake-Shoes-NOS.jpg

You can probably get the whole set of ( 4 ) shoes for $40.00

The made in china after market brake shoes are probably more than $44.95 or best offer .

I would not recommend junk yard brake shoes .

G.

Last edited by '54 3600; Wed Nov 27 2019 11:07 AM. Reason: add

1954 3600
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop