The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (Was76, 49shep, Lightholder's Dad, delky, 1 invisible), 247 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,087
Posts961,810
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 235 won't start
MontanaLee #1334585 Thu Nov 21 2019 04:49 AM
Master Gabster
I used Liquid Wrench for years before I discovered PB Blaster and never went back to Liquid Wrench. Then I discovered Kroil and never went back to PB Blaster.
Now I am out of Kroil and I am sad because the dude who supplied me with the Kroil quit the job where he stole it from. He now works for himself and has no one to steal from anymore.
I guess I need to find a new friend.

Last edited by 52Carl; Thu Nov 21 2019 04:51 AM.
MontanaLee #1334587 Thu Nov 21 2019 04:58 AM
H
Boltergeist
It's cheaper by the gallon- - - - -order it direct!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
MontanaLee #1334663 Thu Nov 21 2019 08:40 PM
M
Wrench Fetcher
Light oil first before PB Blaster or KOIL, or just use KOIL?

1948 3/4 ton Chevy Pickup
MontanaLee #1334668 Thu Nov 21 2019 09:42 PM
H
Boltergeist
KROIL is a penetrating oil, intended to get between rusty or corroded parts and free them up. Put a couple of ounces into each cylinder, let it sit a few days, then drain it out of the oil pan and pour it back into the cylinders if necessary. (Drain the oil first). I've gotten virtually all of it out of an oil pan after it sits in the cylinders a few days, even on engines with the piston rings rusted tight to the cylinder walls. If the engine isn't stuck that badly, it will usually end up in the oil pan overnight. Apply a liberal squirt to all the valve stems and guides to minimize the chance of sticky valves and bent pushrods. If you're storing an engine for long periods of time, use a thicker coating like 30 weight motor oil in the cylinders as a preservative.

Once the engine is spinning freely and appears to be ready to run, fill the crankcase with fresh motor oil, clean up the spark plugs, set the timing, use fresh gasoline from a clean container like an outboard motor fuel tank (NEVER the vehicle tank unless it's been thoroughly cleaned or replaced) and run the engine until it's warmed up.

If you want to clean sludge and crud from the crankcase and rotating assembly, add 3-4 quarts of Diesel fuel or kerosene to the oil so the crankshaft is running in the lube oil/solvent mix, and run the engine at a moderately fast idle for 20-30 minutes. DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE WITH DILUTED OIL! The spinning crankshaft and connecting rods will splash the thinned-out oil around inside the engine like a washing machine agitator and do a better job of cleaning the lower end than removing the oil pan and using a brush and solvent could ever accomplish. Drain the thinned oil while it's hot, change the oil filter element and add fresh oil. The engine should crank and run normally, with 6 volts. Don't forget to reinstall the 6V coil.
Jerry

52Carl #1335105 Sun Nov 24 2019 05:47 PM
T
Shop Shark
I’m in agreement with those that prefer Kroil whether it’s stolen or purchased. I also use ATF. I have used Jack Daniels too, it’s better tasting than Kroil. MontanaLee: Keep us posted on your progress. These things can draw down the patience reserve, but some of us are learning along with you too.

52Carl #1335138 Sun Nov 24 2019 11:35 PM
B
General Purpose
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I used Liquid Wrench for years before I discovered PB Blaster and never went back to Liquid Wrench. Then I discovered Kroil and never went back to PB Blaster.
Now I am out of Kroil and I am sad because the dude who supplied me with the Kroil quit the job where he stole it from. He now works for himself and has no one to steal from anymore.
I guess I need to find a new friend crook.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

MontanaLee #1335154 Mon Nov 25 2019 12:40 AM
Master Gabster
You got any Kroil, buddy?

MontanaLee #1335335 Tue Nov 26 2019 04:57 PM
M
Wrench Fetcher
it has been cold in Montana and even though my truck is inside a garage, I had not trouble starting it about 2 weeks ago, and the first sign of the cold (30's) is when the starting problem started. my next move is to remove the plugs and see if it turns over easier. Next I am going to drain the oil, and if I got some resistance still with the plugs removed, I will use KOIL, which I ordered and should be here today. one thing I forgot to mention, I have a factory installed hydraulic pump, operated off a fan belt, could that be the source of the problem. I have not got it operational since there was a leaking hydraulic cylinder on the bed, when I got the truck this summer. Just a though, I am just baffled that I replaced the battery, cables, adn starter, to improve the starting issues, and not it seems to have gotten worse. I am told there is less than 600 miles on the rebuild of the engine. thanks for all the input!

MontanaLee #1335338 Tue Nov 26 2019 05:10 PM
H
Boltergeist
I'd suggest removing all the belts while diagnosing the slow cranking problem, and once you have determined whether or not the engine has an internal problem start adding belt driven accessories back on one at a time. The recent rebuild concerns me- - - -it's possible some sort of mistake was made that is just now coming to be noticed. I've seen situations where a less than clean assembly allowed debris to accumulate in a rod or main bearing and result in the bearing and crankshaft clearance tightening up. That happened on a competitor's racing engine once, and he ended up losing a $10K rotating assembly over it.
Jerry

MontanaLee #1337098 Mon Dec 09 2019 08:51 PM
M
Wrench Fetcher
just did the 15 second ignition off crank, lowest battery reading was 5.2V. tomorrow going to remove spark plugs and see how it turns over. very very slow today, but it is pretty cold.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop