The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (klhansen, 46paneltruck), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,299
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Electronic Radio Noise
#1334973 Sat Nov 23 2019 04:05 PM
R
Shop Shark
Stovebolters,

We had the restoration shop install an brand new 'Apache' radio from Retro Sound in our newly restored '58 Apache 3100 with a 235 straight 6, 12-volt electrical system. Radio works great using Blue Tooth, but when it comes to playing the AM/FM side of the radio, that is a different story.

Right away we started getting really high frequency squelching sounds randomly and on no particular radio station whenever trying to use the AM or FM radio. The restoration shop's and my agreed to solution was to purchase and install a suppressor. Bad news. That did not change anything.

Another school of thought is to change the plug wires to try and get some with better shielding. The wires I purchased for the re-build were suppose to be 'original' style wires and you cut them to the correct link and install the fittings to both ends. Restoration shop is of the opinion these wires do not provide adequate shielding from electronic noise. There is not near the electrical components on these old trucks as modern day vehicles, so what gives?

So, before purchasing new plug wires, I am turning to the masses. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was your solution? If you purchased new plug and distributor/coil wires, what brand did you purchase? Would like to resolve this as the radio was not a cheap one and I would like to actually play the regular radio on occasion.

Look forwarded to reading your responses,

John
Restored '58 Apache 31
Raleigh, NC

Re: Electronic Radio Noise
raleigh58 #1334976 Sat Nov 23 2019 04:20 PM
J
Shop Shark
Does the noise occur with the engine running?
How is the antenna and antenna cable installed?

They will probably move this thread to The Electrical Bay forum or the The Radio Bench forum.

The forum your in is for engine questions.

jorb #1334980 Sat Nov 23 2019 05:22 PM
R
Shop Shark
jorb,

You are right. This thread will likely get moved, but in the mean time.....

Just tried the radio without the engine running. Was not in the truck for an extended amount of time, but do get through all the FM and AM settings with no 'unwanted' noise.

I don't understand what I should be looking for to answer your question regarding the installation of the antenna and antenna cable.

John

raleigh58 #1334984 Sat Nov 23 2019 05:50 PM
V
Shop Shark
You say the truck is 12V, what provides the charging, alternator or generator?
Try this test but only long enough to see if the noise is present or not. I'm talking seconds not minutes.....
Disconnect & remove the fan belt, start engine turn on radio and listen.

If no noise, the source is the charging system, troubleshoot accordingly.
If noise remains, it's not the charging system, continue troubleshooting the ign system.

Good luck

raleigh58 #1334995 Sat Nov 23 2019 07:19 PM
R
Shop Shark
Volfandt,

Thank you. The 12V charging system is a generator.

raleigh58 #1335000 Sat Nov 23 2019 08:16 PM
M
Shop Shark
I had the same problem. My guess is that it was due to my electronic ignition system after I removed the points. I also have a generator instead of an alternator. I purchased an antenna static filter that plugs into the antenna cord under the bench seat. It cured the problem for me. AM static is mostly due to a poor grounding source.

1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
raleigh58 #1335003 Sat Nov 23 2019 08:37 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by raleigh58
jorb,

You are right. This thread will likely get moved, but in the mean time.....

Just tried the radio without the engine running. Was not in the truck for an extended amount of time, but do get through all the FM and AM settings with no 'unwanted' noise.

I don't understand what I should be looking for to answer your question regarding the installation of the antenna and antenna cable.

John
The antenna cable center conductor/wire could be grounded.
If antenna cable center conductor/wire is not shorting out to ground.
Do this:
Take radio main power wire and connect it to the trucks battery positive post.
Take radio ground wire and connect it to the trucks battery negative post.
Start truck Turn on radio.
Tell me what happens.

jorb #1335126 Sun Nov 24 2019 10:04 PM
R
Shop Shark
jorb,

Thanks. I will pass the on to the resto shop when I take the truck back in the week following Thanksgiving, so my reply to you will be a few weeks. Have a problem with the headlights going on and of(Not good) and the instrument cluster light only works with the high beam lights on. Electrical goblins at work. Will post the fix.

John

MarkT #1335127 Sun Nov 24 2019 10:14 PM
R
Shop Shark
I don't have electronic ignition. I stayed with the old points and condenser system I had. Rebuilt the distributor.

Volfandt #1335305 Tue Nov 26 2019 01:31 PM
R
Shop Shark
What does removing the fan belt have to do with anything? Is it that it is not operating the generator?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop