The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (81tta, baldeagle, DougR, bluesman, AwDang, 59 fleet), 267 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,082
Posts961,742
Members43,550
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can you trickle charge more than one battery at time?
jorb #1334888 Sat Nov 23 2019 12:48 AM
B
Shop Shark
FWIW: Per advice given here, I fully discharge an almost new 12 volt battery that’s awaiting me to finish beating a 1957 Chevy two door Belair back to life. I do it with a tail light bulb on every other month. I have several trickle chargers and connected one to the discharged battery. Several days later I went to disconnect the charger only to find it was kaput. I’m not for certain, but I believe the charger could not handle a fully discharged batter and the current limiting section went south. The battery was fully charged and in good shape after I charged it back up with a regular charger set a two amps.
These new fan dangled 12 volt batteries remain a mystery to me. My cars are 6 volt and will stay that way.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
jorb #1334891 Sat Nov 23 2019 01:06 AM
M
Shop Shark
A friend had a battery shop for a couple decades starting in the early’70s. They hit all the service stations, garages and all other places that installed batteries in all the towns in several counties.He bought the old batteries for scrap price’s. Batteries that looked good went on a set of shelves that would hold 20 or so. A custom made daisy chain wire (think old time string of Christmas lights) with small nails wired to the main harness was used to slow change all the battery’s at once (the nails were tapped into the post). All the caps were off and any with non bubbling cells after a day or so were pulled and sold to a lead recycler.

Batteries that accepted a charge were cleaned up and sold as rebuilt batteries. When in fact they were good batteries to start with that just needed a change.

So yes to the OP’s question along with the good advice above. The Battery Shop did rebuild batteries but not for little cars/trucks.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

jorb #1334918 Sat Nov 23 2019 03:02 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Beltfed, the instructions on my trickle charge say that the battery must have a "full charge".

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
jorb #1334923 Sat Nov 23 2019 03:45 AM
S
Shop Shark
I believe a battery tender of at least 4 amps can charge a dead battery and then maintain the charge. Smaller than that all bets are off and you need a proper battery charger to bring it back up.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bli...n05i04t1aokgm4p04jiwgffwhyyih5xbk0h00410
1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
jorb #1334963 Sat Nov 23 2019 03:10 PM
H
Boltergeist
The best "econony" charger I've found is the Schumacher unit that has a 2/10/80 amp selector. The 80 amp setting is labeled "boost" and is only used for short bursts of heavy charge to wake up a totally dead battery. Walmart sells a generic charger that closely resembles the Schumacher, and is probably their item with a "house brand" relabel. Fortunately, real battery chargers aren't expensive. The big box-shaped ones on wheels usually cost less than $200.00, or close to half that price when they go on sale. "Buy once- - - -cry once!"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1335848 Sat Nov 30 2019 02:44 PM
P
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Sealed batteries can't be gravity checked. If you've got a vehicle handy to install the battery into, try spinning the starter for 15 seconds with the ignition disabled so it won't start. After that time, while still cranking, the battery terminal voltage of a good battery shouldn't drop much below 10 volts. It's a quick and dirty shade tree load test, but it works pretty well.
Jerry

That is a great backwoods test for those of us without battery load testing equipment. Thanks Jerry.

jorb #1336493 Thu Dec 05 2019 04:25 AM
B
Shop Shark
I have used jumpers to keep a second battery on a battery maintainer. I works.
I have also used Harbor Freight $5 chargers and they work well. Have been using them for 20 years.
You have to have a charged battery to start with, when using a maintainer charger.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop