The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (9% grade, oldbolter, GasHog, Hotrod Lincoln, Quindel54, fourspeedwagon), 199 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,921
Posts969,322
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bath Fitter
#1334709 Fri Nov 22 2019 12:56 AM
S
Shop Shark
Certain that most of you have seen the ads. A new bathroom in less than a day with no muss, no fuss. About 10 years ago we signed a contract with Bath Fitters to renovate our tub.

It was not done in one day but took about 4 months. The first tub liner was installed wrong and had to be removed and redone.

Taking out the liner it got broken and we had to wait about 3 months for another. When the first liner was removed it caused major damage to our lath and plaster wall and broke the wooden baseboard.
When it was finally installed correctly Bath Fitters would not consider a discount given the delay and my having to pay someone to repair the wall and replace the baseboard.

About a month ago the tub surround started to pull away from the wall. I called and they made arrangements to come fix it. The first two times they cancelled but finally showed up.

Today in the mail I received a bill for $233.13 for re-installing the wall. Bath Fitters in their ads offer a lifetime warranty on their products. I have no intention of paying for this. I am thinking of going on social media and consumers action on TV. I don't think I will go to the BBB because they are useless, based on previous experience.

Finally as to the product itself it is excellent. The tub and walls are acrylic and look as good today as 10 years ago. The only drawbacks I found was the tub is shorter and narrower because it is an insert. And as we had a cast iron tub previously which retained the heat, This does not.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Bath Fitter
Sedgewick #1334712 Fri Nov 22 2019 01:21 AM
Master Gabster
Counter sue in small claims for the full cost of having to repair your wall.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Sedgewick #1334758 Fri Nov 22 2019 10:39 AM
W
Master Gabster
Thanks for the heads up, I have been considering that route in my master bath.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Sedgewick #1334767 Fri Nov 22 2019 12:47 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Probably just proves the rule of thumb:

You can have it fast, cheap or good -- pick two.

Sorry for your troubles, Sedge.

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Sedgewick #1334789 Fri Nov 22 2019 02:22 PM
V
Shop Shark
Hate you've had troubles with it but glad you posted a review on it. My Mrs has been mentioning going with them for a year or so now and she's been ratcheting up the mentioning lately (LOL), I'll mention this review with the caution it ain't as good as they say.

Sedgewick #1334847 Fri Nov 22 2019 07:38 PM
S
Shop Shark
The product itself is excellent. As mentioned the tub looks as good now as when it was installed in February 2008. Easy clean (no abrasive cleaners though) and I think I have washed the surround once or twice.

The only con is the size reduction and the way the water cools off compared to a steel tub.
My beef is the fact that they say its a Lifetime Warranty on their product but what happens when repairs are needed?

Just going through my file it says I ordered it February 1 2008 up to 12 weeks. The defective tub was removed May 30 and had to wait 14 days for another. I had taken a bunch of digital photos but in the act of deleting I deleted them.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1334910 Sat Nov 23 2019 02:34 AM
Master Gabster
My wife (my only half, I am often reminded), wants to remodel a perfectly functional bathroom. It is in unrestored, original condition, with minor patina.
I pondered the idea of suggesting an insert job, but thought better of it, amazingly enough.
Thank you, Sedgey, for the alert. It makes it a little easier to swallow what the going price is for a complete redo.
Anyone interested in a mid 60s vintage, unrestored original condition bathroom parts, let me know. Pick-up only...

Sedgewick #1335052 Sun Nov 24 2019 04:44 AM
S
Shop Shark
Carl my house was built in 1934 with the original 3 pieces in the bathroom. Pedestal sink, high volume toilet and originally a steel tub which was pretty well worn out.

Back in 2009 I was more naïve than I am now and the Bath Fitter option looked good. It still looks good and I am almost certain that a replacement steel tub would not shine like this one does after 10 years.
I originally had the old tub re-glazed but it did not last more than a few years. Apart from this new labor hassle I am happy with it and do not regret the decision.

I just changed the toilet for a taller, low volume Toto unit. Nice but expensive. However because of the low flush it sometimes takes two flushes to get rid of the racing stripes. I am a big guy and produce....!

The pedestal sink is good but the finish is wearing off and it requires cleaning every few days. And now that I am alone this is the chore that I never did.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1335063 Sun Nov 24 2019 09:34 AM
W
Master Gabster
My house was built in 1971 it has the original 1970 blue fixtures in the master bath. I live alone and have very few visitors but I think about redoing the master bath but then I think why I am putting money in it that I will never recoup. And any money realized from the sale will be found money for my son. My bath was redone in the early 90s but is also in need of a freshening up. I am a procrastinator by nature so we will see.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Sedgewick #1335128 Sun Nov 24 2019 10:29 PM
S
Shop Shark
When I lost my wife just over 2 years ago I was talking to a friend who is a house builder and told him I wanted to renovate. The last renovation was in 1976 before I bought.
He said the same as you said, why bother. The money will go to my estate when I am gone.
So your logic is good.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop