The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (KEVINSKI, classicchevs, 47bolter, Builder, Jon G, Bolter Finally), 326 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,599
Posts930,808
Members42,663
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1949 wiring headache... #1334183 Mon Nov 18 2019 10:30 AM
B
Bill LeVasseur Offline OP
New Guy
Hey all! Helping a friend with his 49 Stovebolt. Its a bit of a mutt. It has a toggle switch ignition. Floor stomp starter. 1 wire alternator. And I am installing a brand new American Autowire harness (with gauges). Got it all installed, but can't figure out where to put the toggle switch. I have 4 wires "left over" that are supposed to simply plug into the "upgraded GM style ignition switch", but the owner doesn't want that. He wants the toggle switch. Any help? I am usually restoring old german cars, so this 6v/12v ranch is hurting my brain...! Thank you!

Attached Files
IMG_20191117_171432.jpg (135.71 KB, 275 downloads)
IMG_20191113_113158.jpg (308.53 KB, 273 downloads)
IMG_20191113_113301.jpg (334.14 KB, 270 downloads)
oldstuff.jpg (108.61 KB, 262 downloads)
Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334235 Mon Nov 18 2019 06:18 PM
Rusty Rod Online
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Hello Bill. Someone that has wired a truck in this manner will step in pretty soon.

Please stop in the "Welcome" forum and introduce yourself. There is also a Rocky Mountain forum that is typically pretty quiet.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334277 Mon Nov 18 2019 11:32 PM
P
Phak1 Offline
Shop Shark
I haven’t installed this harness but I believe we can sort this one out. The switch in my ‘52 (although original) is wired basically the same. The original key switch is a two position switch and does not have a separate position for accessories, so it’s either on or off just like a toggle switch.

A one wire alternator, won’t use the wire labeled (4A). That is meant for a three wire alternator, so you can tape that one up.

The 12v Battery (2E) will be on the one side of the toggle switch, supplying the switch with power.

The Ignition Feed (3B) will go on the other side of the switch, supplying power to the 12v resister that powers the coil.

That leaves the Ignition SW Accy (4B). This needs to be powered when the switch is supplying power to the engine, so attach that to (3B) the same terminal as the Ignition Feed.

Hope this helps!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334397 Wed Nov 20 2019 12:20 AM
B
New Guy
Thanks guys! Got the toggle switch in, and all the lights and wipers work. But now when I switch on power and step on the stomp switch, the entire system shuts down (blew out the new headlight bulbs even!). I think its probably related to the ballast resistor that was suggested I put in. I just put it back inline with the 12v ignition power between toggle switch and + side of coil.

There were a TON of wires hooked up to things that were no longer used or needed, so this ballast might not even be needed with the 1 wire alternator upgrade.

Am digging thru everything now, and will see what I can find. Thanks again for the responses! I didn't get an email letting me know I had responses, so sorry for my delay!

Attached Files
old starter.jpg (78.55 KB, 230 downloads)
old fuses.jpg (205.46 KB, 231 downloads)
old ballast.jpg (138.65 KB, 228 downloads)
new ballast.jpg (158.4 KB, 226 downloads)
Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334450 Wed Nov 20 2019 06:07 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Observations: Questions:
1. Don't recognize that as an American Autowire kit, what is the kit part number?
2. Seems like I see old wiring and new wiring in pics? I suppose you are showing before and after? Otherwise why is there new and old wire?????
3. Ballast resistor is needed with a 12V conversion as well as a 12V coil. Assuming you did a 12V conversion. Unsure.
4. The ballast resistor was always supposed to be between ignition "ON" and the coil pos.
5. Did you or owner do all the necessary modifications needed for 12V conversion? Including ALL NEW 12V bulbs? No other reason bulbs would burn out!!!!!
Unless the bulb was totally wired wrong.
6. Forgive this comment, but the whole job looks very sketchy and strange. The American Autowire kit is the top of the line kit. The instructions don't even look like the AAW kits I've had.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334462 Wed Nov 20 2019 01:55 PM
B
New Guy
Morning! I have answers! smile

1. Yes, brand new AAW kit. 51004.
2. Three of the pics are before, and one is after. All old wire is long gone.
3. Yes, 12v conversion.
4. I have it wired there and seems to be working. I saw other posts that had this ballast with 3 wires, so was unsure if owner just had something missing.
5. All new 12v bulbs, and wired correctly, but I think I found the culprit.
6. Its much better now, since its all new stuff in there. And that instruction pic is right from the AAW kit.

Last night I unplugged the starter wire from battery and just powered the 12v to the fuse box. All lights work great, turn signals, wipers, etc. I then did the opposite and powered just the starter, and it won't crank. I put 12v from battery right to starter, and pressed the "stomp button" by hand. Nothing. So I think there is something there that when its all connected together, sends a surge to the bulbs and makes the battery unhappy. Will tear down the starter and switch and clean them up so see whats going on.

We were able to fire it up and drive it into my garage before tearing everything out, so its a bit confusing...

Thanks guys!

Attached Files
IMG_20191112_133312.jpg (169.9 KB, 189 downloads)
IMG_20191114_154109.jpg (129.65 KB, 192 downloads)
IMG_20191116_193823_758.jpg (100.31 KB, 189 downloads)
Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334490 Wed Nov 20 2019 06:10 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Sounds good. If you have any specific questions or problems, will be glad to help. Don't see any from your last post. Only general frustration.

It is A MUST to refer to the actual 1949 Truck wiring diagram as well as kit instructions. Otherwise confusion can result. The kit you have is generic. If you had the large positive battery cable attached to the button switch on top of starter and pushed the linkage/button down by hand and starter did not crank, you have a localized problem right there. Not an ignition problem. That button simply connects the battery cable to the starter motor. So if that is what you did, you have a button switch problem, a starter problem, a connection problem, a battery ground problem or a dead battery. I would solve that issue first.

I do see that a person not familiar with wiring can get very confused looking at that AAW diagram, the 1949 GM wiring diagram and a new generic pre wired fuse panel kit.

Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: bartamos] #1334544 Wed Nov 20 2019 11:17 PM
B
New Guy
Yeah, I just bought a new switch and battery cables. Heading down now!

I was an F-16 Crew Chief right out of high school thru Desert Storm. That plane has 7 miles of wire in it. So I am familiar with wiring, but not with someone elses problem child! lol

You guys have a been a huge help. Thanks again!

Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334572 Thu Nov 21 2019 03:38 AM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
It seems the battery was not connected to the alternator to cause a runaway voltage & burn out the bulbs.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: 1949 wiring headache... [Re: Bill LeVasseur] #1334576 Thu Nov 21 2019 03:56 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
But But But......................it's a one wire..............and that one wire is the battery.

I think the headlight burnt out due to a wiring error. But I don't want to say that.

Hey Bill, what is that big honkin fuse on firewall. Where do those red cables go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop