The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Bolter Finally, 55 SHAKER, 2ManyTrucks, 1Ton_tommy, 59 fleet, 5 Window 9434), 342 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,599
Posts930,789
Members42,663
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Killing Batteries #1334008 Sat Nov 16 2019 10:04 PM
T
Truckasaurus44 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I've been working on waking up my 53 2ton and have had issues getting it to start. The truck is converted to 12Volts, newative ground.

The battery was good a couple years ago but one day didn't work when I went to start it. No biggy. I figure its old.

I used a jumper box and it cranked for like 15 seconds without starting. I pushed the starter a second time and nothing. It was dead, from a full charge and the jump box was junk. I figured it was because the jumper was from harbor freight and blew it off.

So, today I put in a new battery. It cranks for about 15secs. I give it some more starter fluid an go to start and the battery is dead. Like no lights, no heater motor, nothing. DEAD!

You want to make God laugh? Tell him you plans.
Re: Killing Batteries [Re: Truckasaurus44] #1334012 Sat Nov 16 2019 10:28 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Clean ALL the grounds down to bare metal and try again. If that doesn’t work put on new cables. If that doesn’t work you may have bought a bad battery. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Killing Batteries [Re: Truckasaurus44] #1334016 Sat Nov 16 2019 11:02 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
What's the terminal voltage of the battery- - - -measured at the posts, not the cable clamps? On a fully charged battery it should be 12.6 volts or slightly more. Now, try to operate the starter while someone monitors the battery post voltage. If it doesn't change, or only drops slightly, find the bad connection or open circuit from the battery to the starter and back along the ground circuit.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Killing Batteries [Re: Truckasaurus44] #1334281 Tue Nov 19 2019 12:03 AM
T
Truckasaurus44 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Ok, the battery voltage read out at just 0ver 12V. So I disconnected the battery, checked the terminals, reconnected it and no it turns over just fine. Got me. Now I just need to get the engine to fire off.

You want to make God laugh? Tell him you plans.
Re: Killing Batteries [Re: Truckasaurus44] #1334289 Tue Nov 19 2019 12:55 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Truckasaurus44
Ok, the battery voltage read out at just 0ver 12V. So I disconnected the battery, checked the terminals, reconnected it and no it turns over just fine. Got me. Now I just need to get the engine to fire off.

"Just over 12V" is nearly dead. The fact that you disconnected the terminals and reconnected them and got it to turn over faster tells me that you need to clean the terminal connections. You disturbed some of the corrosion that existed and reduced the resistance across the post-to-terminal junction.
AND you need to charge the battery.
Charge - voltage
100% - 12.70+
75% - 12.40
50% - 12.20
25% - 12.00
0% - 11.80

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Killing Batteries [Re: Truckasaurus44] #1334290 Tue Nov 19 2019 01:13 AM
G
glenns towing Offline
Shop Shark
Another thing to keep in mind. You moved both cables around somewhat when disconnecting and connecting the battery. You might of wiggled the cables enough the free up some corrosion you cannot see in the cable. If problem persists, remove terminals from cables, cut insulation back an inch or two. You will either have good clean wire, or greenish junk. If green, replace cables.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop