The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 registered members (55 SHAKER, 69Cuda, Brad Allen, carryall jerry, 50Chevy3100, 3100Cummins), 355 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,550
Posts930,405
Members42,652
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How stupid can one be! #1332837 Thu Nov 07 2019 06:36 AM
R
Rocket man Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I've sent threads asking how to get the proper location, (fore or aft), of a 10 bolt rear end on my 1950 3100. I had made all kinds of measurements marking where the center of the old torque tube rear end was before I removed it. I didn't feel comfortable with any of them, You users who responded did a great job not knowing that I HADN'T YET REMOVED THE ORIGINAL FRONT SUSPENSION. Luckily, one day it came to me...measure 116" back from the center of the front axle to the center of the ten bolt!!!!

Can't see the forest for the trees

All is well!

P.S. By the way, I'm 66 years old and only half way through my project...not so sure if there is any hope!

Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: Rocket man] #1332839 Thu Nov 07 2019 07:46 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
I know a pro street rod builder whose motto is, "If it LOOKS right, it IS right." I'd locate the axle where it looks the best, which would probably be m/l two inches rearward from the original location.

I've always wondered why the factory put the wheels so strangely far forward in the opening.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: Rocket man] #1332846 Thu Nov 07 2019 12:29 PM
T
TUTS 59 Offline
Shop Shark
P.S. By the way, I'm 66 years old and only half way through my project...not so sure if there is any hope!

Well now that's encouraging. I'm 55 and haven't even really started... grin

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: miraclepieco] #1332849 Thu Nov 07 2019 12:39 PM
S
sstock Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
I know a pro street rod builder whose motto is, "If it LOOKS right, it IS right." I'd locate the axle where it looks the best, which would probably be m/l two inches rearward from the original location.

I've always wondered why the factory put the wheels so strangely far forward in the opening.

Exactly, why the rears are setup forward from the factory is beyond me, other than with the torque tubes, it appears as the rear of the truck becomes laden with weight, by design the wheel base will get longer because of the fulcrum pivot of the torque tube. Or am I all wet?
Rocketman, I have never met a dummy named rocketman, so dont be so hard on yourself. On your next build, use a plumb bob to mark the chassis before you take it apart.

Steve

Last edited by sstock; Thu Nov 07 2019 12:43 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bli...n05i04t1aokgm4p04jiwgffwhyyih5xbk0h00410
1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: Rocket man] #1332873 Thu Nov 07 2019 03:07 PM
J
Joe H Offline
Shop Shark
If you have to get a driveshaft made, set the axle where the truck looks right, don't get hung up on the 116" wheel base. When I built my truck, I set the 10 bolt where the original was, only to find out the fenders were not centered over the tires. Lucky for me, I had new bed sides not drilled for fender mounting, so I shortened the running boards and pulled the fenders forward 2". Truck looks right now, but I should have just moved the axle back and had a second driveshaft made the correct length. 2" isn't much, but on an already short wheelbase it, it could have helped the ride quality a bit.

Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: miraclepieco] #1332906 Thu Nov 07 2019 06:46 PM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by miraclepieco

That's like asking why the sky is blue.
That's like asking why Fwords are undesirable to sane people.
Just because.

Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: Rocket man] #1333939 Sat Nov 16 2019 12:48 AM
J
Just Mark Offline
Shop Shark
Gosh, kinda wish I set my rear end an inch or two rearward. Never thought of it, but have always thought they looked a bit too far forward.

Re: How stupid can one be! [Re: Rocket man] #1333946 Sat Nov 16 2019 01:22 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The open-wheel dirt track car we ran in California had about 6 holes in the pad that mated the rear axle to the springs. Once the wheelbase got checked at the beginning of the season tech inspection, that rear end had a habit of creeping forward an inch at a time. The shorter the wheelbase, the better the car handled in the turns! I think we had 3 driveshafts of different lengths!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop