The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (Johnny N, 47PUJim, Donf, amtrakjoe, 55 SHAKER, glennj3), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,492
Posts929,937
Members42,644
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1333787 Thu Nov 14 2019 06:59 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Two separate questions. MC and Disc.
You can buy whatever Dual MC you wish. Boosted or not. As said, they both fit under floor. Whatever one you choose, from what ever vendor, contact them for any insight to what mods will be needed. Also search our archives and the internet to read a bunch of How-to's and get further educated as to the mods if any. It is nice to have boost. It is easy to plumb. Up to you.

The disc kit shown in the Brothers video includes a spacer. I believe that is to space the stock wheel outwards to clear caliper. Sometimes a little grinding on caliper casting/housing is necessary. No big deal. No pedal change. Search this also.
Expect these kits to move wheel outwards a little.

Can't convert these old trucks sometimes without a little mod here and there. These kits have been installed by thousands of DIY'ers. You are not the first.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: Rusty Shackleford] #1333789 Thu Nov 14 2019 07:10 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
I have followed these posts about disk brakes for many years as I would like to do the conversion. I have heard that using a late '60s early '70s dual master from a Corvette will work without power. Those Corvettes (from what I can gather) had non-powered disk brakes. Apparently, this master has a 1" bore. Now people are saying don't go without power, stick with drums. Just curious and would like more information and hear from anyone using non-powered disk brakes. I have a'47 1/2 ton with a 4 speed. I don't know if I have the ability to creatively engineer something.

Rusty, I would recommend buying a kit. I would not venture out and buy parts on your own if that is what you are thinking. The Master cylinder is a standard GM and they do use what is a called a 7" diameter "corvette" booster.

As far as booster or not. A booster allows for easier foot pressure. It does not stop any faster. It is nice to have while you are already doing the job anyway. That's all there is to the story.

Those who say drums are OK are correct for a standard truck. If truck gets "heavier" with Mods: motor, tranny, monster mudders or whatever, it may need Disc. Many like disc brakes no matter what the weight. That's all there is to that story.

The kits are designed for the DIY person. With the use of the internet, you will have no problems that standard tools won't solve.

In the beginning, ladies did not drive a lot. It was difficult to steer and stop. Too much effort, so engineers invented power brakes and power steering. Ladies were shown in all the advertisements after that, to sell more cars. Then "oh yeah, why don't we put that stuff on trucks too"

They don't stop faster or turn sharper. But really nice to have on a old truck.

Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1333793 Thu Nov 14 2019 07:19 PM
S
showkey Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by WHO, ME ?
Thanks for the help.....but why is not having a booster a huge mistake? I don't want to change pedal location and certanily do not want a ugly booster can in my engine compartment.....could you elaborate....thanks Steve

The kits use the stock pedals and the booster and MC are out out site.
Non boosted pedal pressures are too high for most people that want great brakes with a modern feel. Your wife will not be happy with non boosted pedal pressures.

Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: bartamos] #1333796 Thu Nov 14 2019 07:41 PM
R
Rusty Shackleford Offline
Shop Shark
Bartamos, thanks for the advice. Does anyone know if an aftermarket transmission crossmember would allow the booster to be used with a manual transmission?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: Rusty Shackleford] #1333844 Fri Nov 15 2019 03:51 AM
S
showkey Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
Bartamos, thanks for the advice. Does anyone know if an aftermarket transmission crossmember would allow the booster to be used with a manual transmission?

Depends:
Some report no conflict with the cross member.

Some report slight modifications required to stock member.

Many trucks no longer have the rear transmission cross member in place. Have been missing for years. There some debate on which models had the rear cross member. Several factory shop manuals make mention of the member with certain models.

The aftermarket universal cross member can be used if required. Small amount of fab work required.

There are several prior post on the rear cross member topic the above sums up the consensus.

Last edited by showkey; Fri Nov 15 2019 03:53 AM.
Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1334214 Mon Nov 18 2019 04:47 PM
W
WHO, ME ? Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hey this is getting more interesting..... disc MC can be installed in original location under floor board with a booster where would we draw the vacumm from? Also, interference with clutch? Our truck has the sm420 and cross member. Now which kit meets all our needs. The best kit we have looked at ABS brakes. And thanks for the video link. This all seem too far out of our wheel house. Perhaps we will just get a dual chamber MC and stick with drums. This disc brake conversion sounds like a mine field and being an Army vet. I don't like mine fields..
Thanks you guys are great!
Steve

Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1334223 Mon Nov 18 2019 05:23 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
A simple hose from the intake manifold down to the booster inlet is all it takes for vacuum. It's not a mine field. You are the only one who thinks that. The kits are designed for DIY with possible light mods. The video shows the fellow doing it right on the shop floor. Many of us would do it on the bench with a vise and press and etc.

A dual master will not do much. It's a tad safer.
If you are not able to do disc or possible mods for MC, that's OK. That's how mechanics make a living. Most folks who own old trucks like to work on them with a little help from Stovebolt. You have received much info here of all kinds. It's all up to you to decide if the stated goal of........ "wife will not drive in truck until you do something" is met.

Let us know if you need further intel. Refer to my comments at #1333787 and other member comments in this post.

Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1334460 Wed Nov 20 2019 01:37 PM
S
showkey Offline
Shop Shark
Safety is sissies............I would say dual master is a WHOLE lot safer. Single master: If the driver is keenly aware of the brake feel and there’s a leak at the wheel cylinder. The brake feel will change slightly.........but..........there’s a point where it goes from long travel soft brakes to NO BRAKES. Dual master leaks go to less braking but not zero.

On the mod list post: brakes and seat belts are on the top of list.

Last edited by showkey; Thu Nov 21 2019 12:55 AM.
Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1334465 Wed Nov 20 2019 02:10 PM
P
Phak1 Offline
Shop Shark
I don’t want to hijack this thread, but it’s in line with what I would like to do. In my case, I have a manual 3 speed with “three on the tree” in a ‘52 1/2 ton. I have heard that the linkage for the shifter also causes interference. Do we have any “bolters” that have made this dual MC w/ booster conversion, that can share their experiences?

I am sure there are others in the same boat and could benefit from this info too.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: 3100 disc brakes 6 lug PIA [Re: WHO, ME ?] #1336849 Sat Dec 07 2019 11:29 PM
T
TRUCKBIZ Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Funny I was just reading an article in the January 2020 issue of Hot Rod magazine page 88 thru 91, that goes into a lot of depth about disc brake swaps.
There is discussion about rotor size and wheel clearance on page 89, and about master cylinders on page 90 & 91.
Good luck!!
One other thing, I have checked out a lot of the disc brake kits and none of them say you can use 15" original wheels with there kits. From my reading I do believe it can be done with some grinding.

Last edited by TRUCKBIZ; Sat Dec 07 2019 11:38 PM.

1949 3100
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop