The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 397 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,157
Posts927,053
Members42,567
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Windshiled leaking? #1332993 Fri Nov 08 2019 03:21 PM
D
dgrinnan Offline OP
Shop Shark
My windshield had been leaking and it had the original windshield and gasket. I replaced both the windshield and gasket. When I pulled the old windshield the the metal lip was in great shape. No rust. I cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of pain. I then install the new windshield and one piece gasket without incident. It went very smoothly.

2 weeks later we get rain.

It is still leaking in the same corner. As recommended I even caulked around the the gasket by lifting the gasket away from the windshield, placing the nozzle of the tube of black silicon caulk in under the gasket and running it around the entire windshield. As I moved the nozzle around the windshield and the gasket close back onto the windshield as I moved forward a small amount of silicone squeezed out indicating to me I had the proper amount of caulk in place.

I repeated this process on the part of the gasket that engaged the lip. See the two photos.

Any idea how or why the windshield is leaking?

Attached Files
truckwinbdshieldinside.jpg (152.51 KB, 166 downloads)
truckwinbdshieldoutside.jpg (293.52 KB, 163 downloads)

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333003 Fri Nov 08 2019 05:53 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
Just a thought...was the silicon you chose specifically designed for windshields. You say the pinch weld was sound all around, huh. Of course in hindsight you probably didn't water test after 24 to 48 hrs. cure out. Interesting, I'll be dealing a windshield/gasket change out on my '59 in the near future. I don't think mine has ever been changed rubber hard as a rock. Good Luck....lets see what the experts come up with.

Last edited by Apache1; Fri Nov 08 2019 05:54 PM.

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck) (modified)

Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333007 Fri Nov 08 2019 06:04 PM
D
dgrinnan Offline OP
Shop Shark
The silicone was for indoor/outdoor use and list it sticks to all types of material. Wood, metal, pain, glass, rubber, etc.... This is the type of silicone you use for doors and windows around the house. It did not get wet for at least 5 days after sealing it.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333069 Sat Nov 09 2019 02:37 AM
F
Fox Offline
Shop Shark
Perhaps the windshield divider post? Maybe it “capillaried” down the lip to the corner?

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333075 Sat Nov 09 2019 04:30 AM
K
KEVINSKI Offline
Shop Shark
My 54 also leaks .when the window was replaced it was done by a glass outfit .It leaked in the same spot yours is he came back and put some sealant around it and it was okay for a few years but now it is leaking again. I was at the glass shop and was told that they would have to take the window out and clean all the sealant off .Said it would be cheaper to get a new seal as it should seal without the sealant.The sealant was a urathane that is used to glue newer windshields to the vehicle.

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333105 Sat Nov 09 2019 03:30 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
"My 54 also leaks."

If you have to get a new seal, spend the extra $$ and get it from Steele Rubber Products.
1954/55st windshield gasket - "standard"
1955/55st windshield gasket - for use with SS trim inserts

The less common gasket (for use with SS inserts) is less expensive - go figure?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: KEVINSKI] #1333167 Sun Nov 10 2019 12:55 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
My 54 also leaks .when the window was replaced it was done by a glass outfit .It leaked in the same spot yours is he came back and put some sealant around it and it was okay for a few years but now it is leaking again. I was at the glass shop and was told that they would have to take the window out and clean all the sealant off .Said it would be cheaper to get a new seal as it should seal without the sealant.The sealant was a urathane that is used to glue newer windshields to the vehicle.

Urethane is the wrong type of sealant for your windshield. It calls for a sealant type which does not become hard.
You need a new glass guy, bless his heart. He should know that these windshields do require a sealant and which kind is called for.

Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333182 Sun Nov 10 2019 02:47 AM
K
KEVINSKI Offline
Shop Shark
Yes you are correct the guy who put the window in and sealed it is no longer in the glass business.The glass shop recommended new seal due to the time it would take to clean out the wrong sealant

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333197 Sun Nov 10 2019 11:08 AM
T
tinnerjohn Offline
Shop Shark
You said you sealed between the glass and gasket, did you seal between cab and gasket? The picture looks like the bottom corner of the glass may be a trifle small, which is not unusual. We used to work a piece of screen spline into the groove to push the gasket out. This would probably be next to impossible at this point, depending on how well the silicone on the glass stuck. Originally the sealant used was a caulk that stayed soft for a long time (most was labelled "bedding and glazing"}. Several years ago the FMVSS was amended to require urethane be used to retain any stationary glass in a rollover. This is probably why the shop mentioned used it. Unfortunately, it can be next to impossible to remove the glass and save the gasket when this is done. I haven't been involved in the glass business for 4-5 years now, but a couple weeks ago I was able to find a tube of "bedding and glazing" made by a Canadian company at my local NAPA to use on my nephews Chevy II. Any silicone used for these purposes should be automotive type containing no acetic acid (the vinegar smell) to prevent metal corrosion. Silicones were used on school bus windshield installs since they needed to be able to be kicked out in an emergency. Hopefully some of this long winded post may be helpful to someone. John

Re: Windshiled leaking? [Re: dgrinnan] #1333210 Sun Nov 10 2019 04:07 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
This 3M Auto Bedding & Glazing Compound looks interesting.
Has anyone used it?

- Designed for creating seal between rubber windshield gasket and auto body
- Non-hardening synthetic rubber-based formula is ideal as a glass bedding
- Suitable for use as supplementary sealer for auto glass
- Non-sagging properties are excellent for overhead and vertical auto seals

"3M™ Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound is a flexible sealer designed specifically for creating a watertight seal between windshield rubber gaskets and auto bodies. This synthetic rubber-based sealer remains permanently soft, making it suitable as a bedding and a supplementary adhesive sealer for auto glass. It also resists sagging for use in vertical and overhead auto seals."

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop