The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (LAROKE, joe apple, Homer58, WE b OLD, 1 invisible), 340 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,157
Posts927,053
Members42,567
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1329479 Thu Oct 10 2019 11:18 PM
Canadian_guy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher

Hello again;

Thanks for checking in and following along. I totally forgot to take some pictures of the progress this last round. I tacked in the final pieces for the running boards and then spent a few hours welding out the bigger sections. This was in preparation to remove the boards to cut and weld in the final pieces. I wanted to strengthen the boards as much as possible so nothing moves when I remove them from the truck. The work benches were in use with paying customer work, that and there was some interesting shop "drama" going on. Though I was not involved, I figured making myself scarce until the dust settled was a prudent course of action lest I be caught out as collateral damage!

On another note, a neighbor was junking a Roto-tiller, so I scooped that and with the help of my son we were able to get it running. I am not sure what we will do with it, as I do not need a tiller...
I was mostly just curious to see how much work it would need to get running. Turns out a good carb clean and some fresh gas was all that was needed.

More to come soon!

Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1331168 Fri Oct 25 2019 02:59 PM
Canadian_guy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hello Again;

This week was a very rewarding week as I was able to complete the running board extensions. Yes, I remembered to take pictures, you will find the usual pictorial update attached.
To complete the extensions I needed to cut in the cab transitions and then complete the weld out of the entire running board. I have not been keeping track of my hours this past few months but I am estimating that the extension work took me about 80 hours total to complete. A big investment of time for sure, but they are now "one of a kind", steel and strong as well so I will not have to be afraid of actually using them. They will be finished gloss black same as the fenders and I am thinking of using spray on truck box liner to make a step pad rather than purchasing the common aluminium style. My reasoning is that; 1. I will not have to drill holes for the pads and 2. The liner will adhere/seal to the board and not allow water/crud to migrate under and start corrosion.

Anyways, I am feeling very proud of myself at the moment. That project was making me feel WAY out of my depth and comfort zone, so to have it completed is a big relief and sense of accomplishment.

I also got the 1946 truck laid up for the winter, sad for sure, but I needed to get it done before the snow flies so I could get it into storage dry.
I changed the oil and greased the 1000 or so locations!
I still need to pull the battery and I am thinking of placing it on jack stands to get the weight off the suspension and get the tires off the ground too. Thoughts???

Thanks for following along,
Steve

Attached Files
40 Chev Truck Restomod update-Oct 25.docx (3.32 MB, 15 downloads)
SHA1: d226f027ba95d78c95082809543f842604bce62e
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1332990 Fri Nov 08 2019 02:56 PM
Canadian_guy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Good morning Everyone;

As always, thank-you for checking in and following along.

I was a good citizen and got my annual flu shot, I felt like crap for the next 2 days and then I promptly got sick. The dreaded "Man Cold", I know, I know, pretty serious but I am pulling through and getting better! Thanks for your concern.

Anyways, I got the front splash aprons 90% complete on this round of work. Starting with a cardboard template I quickly found out how much difference there is side to side. Pulling the bumper out here and pushing the fender in there...
Those adjustments helped, but I still needed to make a separate template for each side rather than one I could flip over depending on the side being worked on. I couldn't see the differences with the naked eye and measuring at key points it was within 1/16" but when you laid the template in there it just didn't fit the same.
Once I had the cardboard templates made I copied them on to construction paper and them outlined them with some 1/2" wide tape. Once those were cut out, I then traced that outline on some 18 ga sheet steel and proceeded to cut that out. Some sanding was required to smooth the edges so that no imperfections were transferred to the piece when the edges were rolled over. Once I had the blanks made, I guesstimated where I wanted the raised edge to be, using some clear plastic sheet taped over the blank I traced, cut and then transferred that shape to plywood. The plywood edges needed to be sanded smooth as it would be the guide used when running the piece through the Pull-max and would transfer any imperfections to the raised edge. The 1/2" tape was to allow extra material for the edges which were rolled over last, again using the Pull-max. There is a pivoting shoe and adjustable depth which rolled the edge over 90 deg in 4 or 5 passes through. It turned out pretty good, except for the outer edges as that radius was about 2" and was too tight a curve for the steel to form smoothly. To get it right after I needed to make some zip cuts in the edges and hammer the edges smooth, etc.

It took me about 4 hours to make the templates and what-not, but only took about 1 hour to form the raised lip and roll the edges over. The remaining time was spent on hammer and dolly work, trimming and fitting the pieces as needed to final shape. Welding, grinding and sanding as needed. Total time to get to where I am is about 25 hours. I still need to build the hold down tabs and determine where the fog lamps should be placed. Adding some extra support where they are mounted will need to be done as well. Probably another 3 or so hours is needed.

I am very pleased at how it turned out, once painted and the vintage fog lamps are installed it will really come together.

I did take some pictures, they are attached as usual.
That is all for now,
Steve

Attached Files
40 Chev Truck Restomod update-Nov 8.docx (2.85 MB, 16 downloads)
SHA1: 2136fa5f3ffc142ac332fddaa5c70dbc65347f46
Last edited by Canadian_guy; Fri Nov 08 2019 03:00 PM.
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1333043 Fri Nov 08 2019 10:55 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
Class is in session............................................................................................................

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck) (modified)

Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1333067 Sat Nov 09 2019 02:35 AM
F
Fox Offline
Shop Shark
Wow Steve. It looks killer! Nice work. I’m just finally getting back to work on my C10. Funny how 2 little guppies will do that! 😃😎

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HandyAndy, John Milliman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop