The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Bill Marlow, D B Cooper, 6571, 49 3100, 03marauderman, 78buckshot, 1 invisible), 470 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,498
Posts930,005
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1333000 Fri Nov 08 2019 05:39 PM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
You have me confused. If you go the MII route the only leaf springs will be on the rear end. Choose the MII carefully as they range from well engineered (Fatman) to el cheepo ebay units that make us cry when they're put on the alignment rack. Here is a pic of a decent unit where the steering rod boot clears the frame to a cheap one that requires serious frame surgery for clearance. Neither are the $$$ ones but show what a bit of shopping can do even in the bargain units. The last pic is just to be a smart a$$ for ones with really deep pockets.

The decent one:[img]https://i.postimg.cc/68K0NxR2/IMG-4756.jpg[/img]

El crapo unit: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/d7Pm9PQt/IMG-4888.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/6y69yydB/IMG-4672.jpg[/img]

Evan
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: coilover] #1333086 Sat Nov 09 2019 08:40 AM
R
Rocket man Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Coilover

Is the decent one a Fatman? I assumed all Mustang II's would require the semi-circle notch to be cut out of the frame for clearance issues. I haven't got that far yet so my investigation into them is very limited. In addition, I'm not a welder...are there M II's that are A., bolt-on, B., no-notch and C., decent?

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1333093 Sat Nov 09 2019 12:43 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
I'm not Coilover, but yes, there are bolt-on M-II systems. Unless you do some custom fabrication while installing that type of independent front suspension, you'll end up with a truck that resembles a redbone hound after a close encounter with a skunk- - - - -nose dragging the ground as he tries to plow a furrow half a mile long! There are ways to avoid the "droop-snoot" look, but only by modifying the height of the M-II crossmember. That definitely requires welding and fabrication skills. Generally speaking, IFS "kits" are a good way to shovel sand down a rathole, dollar-wise! The "good" ones are horrendously expensive, and the cheap ones make you spend a lot of extra money making them safe and reliable. If you don't have a lot of experience building suspension systems from the ground up, you'll be much better off finding someone like Evan in your neighborhood and paying him to get the job done right the first time. Far too many of the hotrodded cars and trucks I have to share the road with are nothing but rolling death traps, and that includes some of the very high-dollar "resto-rods" that I inspect for potential buyers overseas. One guy from Australia keeps me busy- - - - -40-something inspections in the past 10 years- - - - - he's bought about half of them based solely on my photo shoots and test drives. He pays top dollar for this old geezer's opinions!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1333189 Sun Nov 10 2019 04:11 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
No, the decent one could be from Chassis Engineering, Speedway, or in that price range. The bigger buck ones are from Fatman, Heidt's, etc. There are several that are bolt on and have steering rod boot clearance---Chassis Engineering come to mind. If a boot just rubs the bottom of the frame but is not flattened by the contact a little heat and a BFH will give the needed clearance. Of course the shoe makers kids go barefoot so my 34 Chevy with a Heidt's has been rubbing the boots for years. When one rubs through and starts dripping grease I'll expect everybody to feel sorry for me.

Evan
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1333795 Thu Nov 14 2019 07:20 PM
F
floaterboy Offline
New Guy
I installed an IFS kit from No Limit Engineering on my '56 3100 and had no issues. It is well designed and and performs as advertised.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop