The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (51 2 Ton, 4100 Fire Truck, 78buckshot, bhap, 3 invisible), 340 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,485
Posts929,875
Members42,644
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Original leaf springs with a 350 engine #1332730 Wed Nov 06 2019 07:26 AM
R
Rocket man Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I'm planning on using my original leaf springs on my 1950 3100. The driveline will be upgraded to and LT1 with a 4L60E tranny. I've replaced all of the spring bushings...nice and tight now. I don't plan on any burnouts...just something that can pass someone else on the road without getting a run for it, easily maintain interstate speed and sound nice at the same time. What unforeseen issues do you think I might encounter?
P.S. I've installed a Chevy 10 bolt with 3" lowering blocks.

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332742 Wed Nov 06 2019 12:31 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
Do have some pics you could post and share with us....thanks.

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck) (modified)

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332753 Wed Nov 06 2019 02:18 PM
V
Volfandt Offline
Shop Shark
The original engine and tranny combo is heavier than the LT1/4L60E combo so weight wise you'll have no problem.
Matter of fact, the old time way folks lowered their hotrod V8 powered AD's by removing springs, sometimes down to just 2 springs but I do not recommend following those past practices, LOL.

Your straight axle frontend will work fine with that combination as long as it's tight with no play.

A major unforseen problem you'll encounter is shoe horning that LT1 in with clearance around the stock steering gear box. Theres many interesting techniques builders have used over the decades to remedy that problem, you'll have lots of reading to do on that. Going with an aftermarket power steering setup that moves the steering gearbox up towards the front of the frame is probably the best solution but be prepared to part with some $$$'s.

Another situation that comes to mind is having to remove the rear frame cross member that the OEM bellhousing mounts bolt to. It'll be in the way of your auto tranny. Again there's a few interesting techniques used from running without one (not good) to cutting the OEM and welding bracing around the tranny (good) to making up a total custom cross member (good).

It's all doable and many do it, it'll just cost you alot more $$$'s than installing a fresh 235 or 261.

Good luck
Dave

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332782 Wed Nov 06 2019 07:56 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The "bellhousing" crossmember also serves to stabilize the spring perches, so don't remove it entirely. It's fairly simple to fabricate a dropped center crossmember from flat plate and square tubing that allows for automatic transmission clearance without compromising handling due to frame flex.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332788 Wed Nov 06 2019 08:42 PM
R
Rocket man Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Boltergeist and Shop Shark...

I forgot to mention that I'll be installing an aftermarket Mustang II so previously mentioned issues hopefully I won't encounter. I have read about moving the bellhousing crossmember back to accommodate the tail shaft of the transmission and modifying the "back" crossmember to accept the driveshaft and any additional clearance issues. I understand that removing any support parts from the frame is a bad idea. I have boxed the rear of the frame from the back of the back crossmember to the support that is riveted in just past the axle hump of the frame. My main concern was torque issues on the leaf springs. As we all have grown accustomed to, we leave stop signs and such with a little more "umph" than we did 70 years ago...horsepower being the culprit. I was just concerned that the 1 3/4" wide leaf springs would hold up for how I expect to drive.

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332815 Thu Nov 07 2019 01:03 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
There is no way to predict the way such a badly butchered frame will respond to street driving, energetic or otherwise. Boxing the frame usually results in the formation of stress cracks and other undesirable consequences, but people persist in trying to "improve" a design that was developed over a long period of time by some very skilled engineers and performed admirably for decades.
Jerry

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332822 Thu Nov 07 2019 02:36 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Where did you read about "moving the bellhousing crossmember back"? It is riveted in place and will not fit further back without a lot of cutting, and then you will need to find a way to shoe horn it inside of the frame.
You can unbolt and slide the torque tube crossmember back to support the tail of the automatic transmission.

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: 52Carl] #1332835 Thu Nov 07 2019 05:50 AM
R
Rocket man Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
52 Carl

Thanks for pointing out my wrong interpretation! You are correct...it's the torque tube crossmember.

Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332850 Thu Nov 07 2019 12:41 PM
T
TUTS 59 Offline
Shop Shark
It's key to remember that these old trucks were designed to flex, the roads and rough service they were subjected to required some amount of give in the frame. If your after a suspension that will act and feel like a modern car or truck your may have wanted to look at an aftermarket frame such as Art Morrison or TCI. A lot of engineering has gone into these new chassis setups.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: Original leaf springs with a 350 engine [Re: Rocket man] #1332921 Thu Nov 07 2019 08:55 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Unless you've already got a lot of time and money invested in frame modifications, check into using a Dodge Dakota frame and adapting your stovebolt sheet metal to it. They're designed from the get-go for V8 power, the parts are readily available in salvage yards, and you won't be paying an arm and a leg for somebody's hotrod adaptation of a suspension system built for a compact car. Just because somebody wants to solve all my problems by selling me something doesn't necessarily mean he's got my best interests at heart. My advice might be just exactly worth what I'm charging for it, but at least consider a few alternatives to butchering up an original frame, or paying outrageous dollars for somebody's unsubstantiated promises.
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop