The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Rich'sToys, palidinroams, Olsonjc, 1 invisible), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,473
Posts929,821
Members42,642
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Burn Outs !! I guess I'm just a ol Fogy [Re: idaho39] #1331876 Wed Oct 30 2019 05:13 AM
R
Rusty Shackleford Offline
Shop Shark
I've never done a burnout (kinda hard to do with a 36 or 40 hp VW Beetle in the old days. Even harder with a VW van) Then switched to 'family cars'. Now my '47 Thriftmaster with a 216 doesn't seem to have what a burnout needs (for some reason). To me, it seems kinda senseless but to each his own. The other day, my neighbour stopped in the alley for a chat. He was in his mint 1957 Chevy Nomad. Beautiful car. He was taking it to Washington on the weekend to try to sell it. He normally doesn't do this but he did a bit of a burnout. His brother was behind him in his 1992 Astro van. He did a burnout as well. The funny thing was the Nomad only left one strip of rubber (like the mini van). I thought to myself, "I'm sure the Nomad has posi-traction. Why was there only one strip?" He was having trouble getting into his garage and it turned out he broke something in the right axle and damaged a bearing on the other side. The rear end had been built professionally at some point. Needless to say, he didn't get down to the states to sell the Nomad that weekend. And, he still has it (it's been repaired). More than just tires to worry about, I suppose.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Re: Burn Outs !! I guess I'm just a ol Fogy [Re: idaho39] #1331902 Wed Oct 30 2019 02:03 PM
M
moparguy Offline
Shop Shark
I've been sideways, backwards, in the ditch and worried about brakes at the end of the track a few times. Never had a blowout due to a burnout but likely came close a time or two. The best ones were just before lining up next to a friend and letting them admire the Duster's freshly waxed rear bumper. Happened a huge majority of the time. Growing up in a rural southern county, living out the movie American Graffiti was a way of life that we thought totally normal. For a couple years the Duster was the fastest car in the county and kinda like the old west and gunfighters, someone was always wanting to prove there stuff was faster. Back in '72/73/74 it wasn't unusual for a dozen of so cars to roll up to our country house, have a friend knock on the door in the middle of the night and announce so and so wanted to have a go. Of course honor demanded we provide the opportunity for them to be well thrashed. Lucky to still be here I suppose.

The Duster in it's current state on another site.

Life prevented the New Birthday Tradition described here, but that little strech of vacant blacktop is just down the road and I'll visit it soon. Slideways here I come. Get ready.

Last edited by moparguy; Wed Oct 30 2019 02:06 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Burn Outs !! I guess I'm just a ol Fogy [Re: idaho39] #1332129 Fri Nov 01 2019 02:35 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Don't do burnouts just for the sake of wearing the tires out....they are still expensive.

However, I do admit to a "need for speed" on occassions and do spin them some.......I usually wait till its moving good and then just steadily put the pedal to the metal, but they still break loose and spin. Gosh, I love it when it does that!!!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop