The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (BlackViking60, 3800GUY, dphipps, Bill Trotter, dougs, 2and4wheels, 1 invisible), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,048
Posts970,433
Members43,831
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rustang II front end.
52Carl #1331875 Wed Oct 30 2019 05:00 AM
H
Boltergeist
Evan, I'm considering building a 2-wheel Can-Am Spyder style front end for the Honda Gold Wing 1200 motorcycle I wrecked a few years back. It might be worthwhile to take advantage of the engineering and geometry that's already built into the M-II crossmember and control arms, and just cut a few inches out of the middle of the crossmember to make the track width close to right. I'll be using the original handlebars and a custom-fabricated set of tie rods for steering. Obviously, I'd need to install springs on the coil over shocks appropriate for the weight of the bike. I figure it should cost about 1/10 of the price of a Can-Am to do a 3-wheeler that way.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
52Carl #1331947 Wed Oct 30 2019 07:35 PM
V
Shop Shark
I'm interested in an MII IFS swap to a 49 GMC. Oddly enough it's already lowered and has coilovers on the rear.
So far my research indicates some IFS's can be a bear to set caster and camber and getting steering shaft clearance for the rack can cause some extensive cutting to the IFS.

I too like the stock stance over extreme lowered and like your (coilover) pic's on how to achieve a stock stance.
Wonder if the bolt-in IFS's can be modified lower by 3.5".

52Carl #1332006 Thu Oct 31 2019 01:38 AM
D
Wrench Fetcher
In the process of installing a Speedway bolt in MII crossmember that Speedway offers. The crossmember comes with coil ride height adjusters. May get you closer to stock ride height with them adjusted all the way down. The Speedway crossmember P/N is 91044754.

Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
52Carl #1332034 Thu Oct 31 2019 10:45 AM
C
Shop Shark
Volfandt, the choice of which MII one uses makes a lot of difference in how difficult caster and camber is to adjust. Also some rack and pinion units have more frame clearance than others. One can also use a rear mount rack that gives clearance all around except for oil pans in certain cases. Pictured is a stock type MII upper A-frame with a weld on spring hat that has factory type very easy caster and camber adjustment. On the more versatile coilover tubular A-frames one has to completely remove the Heim (rod) end bolt and screw the end in or out for front end adjustment which is more work and time consuming. Alignment people don't like them but they are a much better set up. Second picture shows a half finished frame notch to clear the boot on the end of the rack, necessary with some units.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/mPz9Gp4m/IMG-4886.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/TKRs7mX2/IMG-4887.jpg[/img]

Evan
52Carl #1332035 Thu Oct 31 2019 10:56 AM
C
Shop Shark
Jerry, I know your idea will fly because we have WIDENED a couple of MII units with good results. With all the suspension parts removed the cross member will fit on the table of a 14" metal chop saw and one can make real pretty cuts.

Evan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop