The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (5 Window 9434, MarkT, Hambone, Justhorsenround, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,574
Posts930,655
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long bed assembly bolts #1323188 Fri Aug 23 2019 09:14 PM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
I'm aiming at putting the bed on my 53 one ton Sunday, and I'm wondering about the long mounting bolts. I've been told they go in the front cross sill, but I don't see how they could fit. Are there supposed to be holes in the bottom of the frame, so that they go all the way through? I don't have those holes on my frame, and it looks like the long bolts will run into the frame. This truck had a bed on it when I got it, so it must have been held on somehow. All the other bolts are shorter, and seem to be just long enough to go through the bed, cross sill, wooden block, and the top of the frame.

Am I just really confused?

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: Long bed assembly bolts [Re: bluesman] #1323226 Sat Aug 24 2019 03:03 AM
B
Brad Allen Offline
Shop Shark
Mar-K describes the 12” bolts installing that way, my 3/4-ton went together as they describe, they go all the way through. I am unsure why you would not have the same holes?

Re: Long bed assembly bolts [Re: bluesman] #1331788 Tue Oct 29 2019 06:27 PM
B
Barnfind49 Offline
Shop Shark
My 3/4 ton gmc only had the hole drilled through the bottom of the frame on one side only. Drivers side i just used a shorter carriage bolt.

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop