The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (booger, Dragsix, floaterboy, Hambone, Hugh63c10, 42465967), 356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,579
Posts930,677
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333823 Fri Nov 15 2019 12:46 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Early stovebolt hydraulic lifters are notorious for making noise and/or collapsing, and the only things worse are "new" ones made overseas. I'd recommend removing the lifters one at a time (important) and give each one a disassembly and cleaning. There's a tech tip on the forum somewhere on how to modify the lifters and the pushrods to assure there's enough oil flow to keep them from collapsing. Since 235 hydraulic lifter engines do not flow oil up the pushrods to the cylinder head (they're solid) it's necessary to create a calibrated leak at the bottom of the pushrod to assure enough oil flow to prevent an air lock from forming in the lifter body.

DO NOT MIX UP LIFTERS AND CAMSHAFT LOBES!

Each lifter establishes its own running fit to a cam lobe, and swapping holes with used lifters is a surefire way to guarantee a worn out camshaft in a very short time. What weight oil are you running? I'd avoid using anything thinner than 15W-40.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333831 Fri Nov 15 2019 02:14 AM
D
Dragsix Online
Shop Shark
May I ask where you are tapping in to check the pressure and whose pressure gauge are you using?

Mike
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333838 Fri Nov 15 2019 03:04 AM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I tapped into the tee fitting where the oil pressure gauge and the oil supply to the bypass filter located on the drivers side. I removed the oil filter barbed fitting and installed the gauge. Both the dash and temp gauge I installed read the same. I’m using an old pressure gauge that I have.

Last edited by Phak1; Fri Nov 15 2019 03:06 AM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333915 Fri Nov 15 2019 07:58 PM
D
Dragsix Online
Shop Shark
5 pounds at idle is not really what you want so here is what i might consider just as a little low hanging fruit. Get a new mechanical oil pressure gauge. Jegs sells one for like 20 dollars and your local parts joint may have one locally. Just to double check. The other thing is, and I am just spit balling here, any chance you have recently messed with the timing? And by that I mean have you recently loosened the clamp screw on the octane selector/distributor hold down? The reason I ask is that it is possible to run a 235/261 under conditions where the tang on the distributor pump does not fully insert into the receiving slot of the oil pump. This is a long shot but maybe you have just enough contact to move he oil pump enough to get some movement. So, maybe loosen the screw enough to press down on the distributor and see if it will go further down into the pump. Not likely but you never know. When the motor is idling, is oil dribbling out of the rockers, and all of the rockers? or is it spitting and making a mess? Or no oil at all? What is the casting number for the head, 913 or 848? If its 848, what is the casting date?

Last edited by Dragsix; Fri Nov 15 2019 08:01 PM.

Mike
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333927 Fri Nov 15 2019 09:25 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am still in the process of making the truck road worthy so the distributor has been in and out several times chasing a rough idle. That issue was resolved. I am confident that the distributor is seated. The low oil pressure has been since I first started the engine, so it‘s not a new issue.

The head is an 848 and the date code is A31.

The rocker arms seem like they are being adequately oiled, with oil dribbling from all rockers, and it is not spewing all over the place.

I do agree that a new oil pressure gauge is warranted.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1333959 Sat Nov 16 2019 02:49 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
A new (not rebuilt) Melling M-45 oil pump is only about $100.00 on Ebay and there are literally dozens of them available there. In 60+ years of building engines I've only seen two actual oil pump failures, but they do get a little tired, especially if the pump has ingested some debris and gotten scored inside.

While you've got the oil pan off to swap the pump, put a set of rod bearings in it and fix the real problem.
Jerry

Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1334150 Mon Nov 18 2019 01:09 AM
1Ton_tommy Offline
Shop Shark
Don't forget the Plastigage, mic the crank and hunt up a set of tapered bearing shims. Do remember to disassemble the oil pump pickup to check for debris; also check the pressure relief valve. The valve lifter racket could be caused by air getting sucked into the inlet side of the pump. This happens from damaged pickups or loose connections where the pickup goes into the pump. Mind you, it can't be so tight that it won't swivel but it can't be so loose that it sucks air. They can fall off altogether when the locating cotter-pin was forgotten or for some reason falls out. Then no oil pressure at all with the oil level below the pump. Mix of air and oil with the pump partially submerged. I've never seen this happen but I suppose it's possible.

51 3800 PU, 55 235 (w/cam, headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1334218 Mon Nov 18 2019 04:55 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Update: I took out all the hydraulic lifters, one at a time. Cleaned, reassembled, filled with oil, then reinstalled. At the same time, I cut slight grooves into the bottom of each pushrod to alleviate any trapped air as suggested by HRL. I followed Chev235guy guidance.

They all looked like new and I found only one that collapsed. I reassembled everything and I’m waiting for a pushrod cover gasket before I continue. I want to run the engine to see if that solved the missing problem before I go into the crankcase.

I ordered a new crankcase gasket along with Plastigauges in the appropriate sizes.

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Mon Nov 18 2019 04:56 PM.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1334249 Mon Nov 18 2019 09:40 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Isn't that lifter plunger upside down in your photo? The spring should be at the bottom, the inner plunger should assemble on top of the spring with the check ball pointing down, and the pushrod seat goes on top, followed by the snap ring that holds it all together.
Jerry

Re: ‘59 235 Low Oil Pressure [Re: Phak1] #1334254 Mon Nov 18 2019 10:18 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yes the plunger is upside down in the picture. I took the picture to show, that they look like new. They were assembled as you stated and I reassembled them the same. I did add oil and purged out the air prior to reinstallation.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop