The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (3B, bsarts, EdPruss, Hotrod Lincoln, glenns towing, 68ironhead), 337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,366
Posts938,487
Members42,915
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rustang II front end. #1331335 Sat Oct 26 2019 10:51 PM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
The guy paying me to build a '52 3100 now wants to go with an independent front axle.
This, after he payed me handsomely to install a powder coated stock straight axle, complete with a Saginaw steering box, and all new brake parts and leaf spring bushings/pins.
I tried to talk him out of it until he has a chance to drive it with the power steering setup in it now, but he has been listening too much to his buddies.
No problem really, since he has paid me already for the stock front axle work.
Now he will have to pay me to take everything off and pay to have the entire Rustang II front axle installed.
Then there is the issue with five lug front wheels with the six lug rear axle wheels.
Now to my question. What Rustang II clone front axle setup is the most user friendly to install? It needs to have power rack and pinion steering.
Carl
(My apologies to the Fword fans for using the word "Rustang", but this, after all, is a family friendly site...)

Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331351 Sun Oct 27 2019 12:25 AM
C
clarsen3100 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Carl - I used the M-II kit from Fatman Fabrications, opting for their Stage 3 hub to hub kit with QA-1 coilovers and manual steering rack. You can get it with a power rack if you want, but I didn't think I needed it. The install was straight forward with good instructions. I opted to pick it up from their shop to save the freight as they are located in North Carolina. See photo.
Good luck!

Attached Files
DSCN0293.JPG (325.13 KB, 224 downloads)

Charlie

'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331370 Sun Oct 27 2019 07:12 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
How about a Speedway bolt-in unit? That way you can unbolt it when your customer changes his mind again.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: miraclepieco] #1331400 Sun Oct 27 2019 05:24 PM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
How about a Speedway bolt-in unit? That way you can unbolt it when your customer changes his mind again.

Good point. I haven't talked to him since this morning. He may have already changed his mind again.

Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331519 Mon Oct 28 2019 04:20 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
Does he have an air bag or coil over rear suspension set up? If not, using an MII ifs is only half the job unless one likes the potato digger rake angle. A couple of pics showing a 55.2 with MII and stock rear leaf springs and another showing a 49 that has rear coil overs to bring the rear down to near level with the front. Whole truck sits low. I have a pictorial on frame brackets to make an AD sit at factory height with an MII ifs if interested.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/2qjXhmhq/IMG-4757.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/75wBrDBB/IMG-4905.jpg[/img]

Evan
Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331594 Mon Oct 28 2019 05:49 PM
W
Waves2275 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I used Heidts system on my '53. Love it.

Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: coilover] #1331652 Tue Oct 29 2019 12:09 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by coilover
Does he have an air bag or coil over rear suspension set up? If not, using an MII ifs is only half the job unless one likes the potato digger rake angle. A couple of pics showing a 55.2 with MII and stock rear leaf springs and another showing a 49 that has rear coil overs to bring the rear down to near level with the front. Whole truck sits low. I have a pictorial on frame brackets to make an AD sit at factory height with an MII ifs if interested.

Evan.
I am definitely interested in pics of your factory height brackets. I personally do not like the looks of lowered AD trucks.
Have you done a MII on an AD with your factory height brackets while leaving the original leaf springs in the rear? I am concerned with only taking care of only half of the ride quality.
Thank you,
Carl

Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331806 Tue Oct 29 2019 08:41 PM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
Carl,
Dug through my old pics and did not find the AD brackets but did find one for a 37 Chevy. The principal is the same---lower the cross member to raise the frame. I use sheet steel the same thickness as the cross member to plasma cut the pieces from. Turning the frame upside down, as pictured, is the easiest but on a completed truck one may have to use jacks, jack stands, shims, etc. One thing I realized is this works only with the COILOVER option on the MII unit. The one pictured is a Heidt's coilover unit but others would work. You definitely are up on these old rides so this should point you in the right direction. Dropping the cross member 3.5" makes an AD set very near factory height. The sway bar links (if used) will need lengthened and maybe a higher rate shock to cut down body roll, but often not needed. Of course my photos have no index but can dig further if needed but I think someone like you will readily get the idea. Pic of a 53 with leaf springs and MII ifs.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/zypvLZGz/raise-MII-XM-001.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/8jpjTzTK/raise-MII-XM-002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qNnfY2W9/raise-MII-XM-003.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vxMDgQfm/mod-A-020.jpg[/img]

Last edited by coilover; Tue Oct 29 2019 08:46 PM.

Evan
Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331854 Wed Oct 30 2019 01:55 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
Thanks, Evan!
The 3.5" is what I was looking for.
That last picture has as close to the correct stance as you can get.
Carl

Re: Rustang II front end. [Re: 52Carl] #1331871 Wed Oct 30 2019 04:27 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
Carl,
Rear heights vary a bit depending on leaf spring condition (sag) so on an unknown one you might cut wood blocks in various thickness to place between the saddle notched into the MII cross member and the bottom of the frame rail. The weight will need to be on the front springs to get the height right and if it's not it's easier to replace wood blocks than cut weld. With coil overs one has several inches of adjustment on the shock body but it gives more fudge room if cross member is close to desired position. Sometimes have to tweak a little after truck has been driven for a time and the springs settle, usually unevenly, but adjustable coil overs make correcting an easy task.

Evan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop