The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (agedhorse, Eureka Jim, 49shep, Dusty, 1 invisible), 227 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,011
Posts961,180
Members43,538
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trunk Light Number
Sedgewick #1331278 Sat Oct 26 2019 12:25 PM
W
Shop Shark
Do a continuity check between the trunk lid and the body of the car. You may not be making a connection through the hinges.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
Sedgewick #1331280 Sat Oct 26 2019 12:33 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Take the socket completely off the trunk deck just leaving it dangle. Clip a wire to a known good ground then to the grounding surface on the socket. If the light comes on you have a ground problem. If it doesn’t, you have a socket problem. Good luck.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Sedgewick #1331301 Sat Oct 26 2019 06:13 PM
S
Shop Shark
Thank you. The socket has been removed from the trunk lid from the start of this experiment. I ground onto the trunk latch which is on the car body, not the trunk. With my probe I get power right up to where the wire goes into the base of the socket. With my meter I get 12.7v using the same configuration. The power is getting through until it goes into the socket so I think it has to be the socket. The mounting bracket, the mounting screw and inside the trunk lid where it goes have all been de-rusted.

The spring in the socket is moving and the inside of the socket is free of rust so if I use logic the contact between the spring in the socket and the wire going into the socket is the problem. Which I would find strange.

The only way to find out is to dismantle the socket but being so small it might just destroy it.
I checked in FLAPS for a similar socket with the single wire and connector on the end but there was nothing. The wire is about 6 inches long. If I find just the socket I can cut and splice the connector to it. But all of the sockets I found were 2 wire.

Its not frustrating as it is not making the car u/s but I'd like to figure it out. Actually it is interesting. And thanks to all for the suggestions.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1331316 Sat Oct 26 2019 08:28 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
This is probably what you need.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Sedgewick #1331322 Sat Oct 26 2019 09:10 PM
S
Shop Shark
I think you are correct!
On the short wire between the connector and the socket I removed about a quarter-inch of insulation. I clipped my test wire to the bare wire and the other to the metal tube of the socket and I got a light. I took the test wire off and no light. So it has to be in the socket and that Pico part is what I need.
Keep you posted, thank you.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1331414 Sun Oct 27 2019 07:54 PM
S
Shop Shark
Its fixed. It needed a new contact unit as KLHansen suggested above. The only difference was I needed the contact with the boss to fit inside the metal housing. It all works and now I need to bend a bit to get into the rear of the trunk lid.

The only question I have is about an on/off situation. To the best of my searching I did not find any sort of switch to turn it off. Common sense says it should be on the lid but there is nothing.

Once I have it together I will close the lid as low as I can and check. If not I'll get a neighbour's kid to get into the trunk. I don't know how much of a drain I will get from that #1003 bulb if its always on.

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions.
Bill

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1331425 Sun Oct 27 2019 08:46 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Follow the wire to look for a switch. It may be built into the hinge, or maybe the latch.
If there's no switch, the battery will drain in fairly short order.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Sedgewick #1331432 Sun Oct 27 2019 09:11 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Your switch may be just to the right of the latch on the lid itself. There is a video if you google “how to replace the trunk light switch on a 1989 Chevy caprice”. Good luck.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Sedgewick #1331443 Sun Oct 27 2019 10:49 PM
S
Shop Shark
Everything works! But the light stays on all the time. I have had the car about 4 years and never needed the trunk light. I do not drive at night either. Having said that I just wanted it to work. At the moment I have disconnected the in-line connector but also have a simple on-off toggle switch which I will install. It can stay off and if I need it I can just use the switch.

I once belonged to a Chevy Impala/Caprice forum but it was hard to access with all the ads. I might try again but I will Google about the trunk light switch.

If there is one it should be tied into the bulb as per a mercury switch or a scissor switch on the hinge. Nothing and with the lid closed I still have a light.

Thanks again.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1331447 Sun Oct 27 2019 11:05 PM
S
Shop Shark
Nothing on Google or YouTube.

Tried to onto the Chev Impala/Forum but it is so slow and so full of ads. Frustrating. We are lucky here on Stovebolt.com

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop