The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (carbking, dirtball, Ferndale53, Big Ron, Bill Trotter, Brad Allen, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,536
Posts930,283
Members42,649
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 55 GMC Series 1 Project [Re: J Lucas] #1331417 Sun Oct 27 2019 08:20 PM
M
msmalley Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by J Lucas
Welcome msmalley. What a nice truck. I'm looking forward to following your build. Just curious, where did you trailer it down from?

John

Hello John, I brought it down from South Dakota, it was purchased in Mitchel SD and spent most of its life in Rapid City sadly a lot of that was in a field.

1955 GMC Series 1
100 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic 100
Re: 55 GMC Series 1 Project [Re: tclederman] #1331422 Sun Oct 27 2019 08:38 PM
M
msmalley Offline OP
New Guy
Hi Ya all,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice thus far I really appreciate it. I am relieved that there are so many out there willing to help, I have posted the same message on other boards and have not received any feed back. I thought that I would receive an email when there was a reply to my post but I haven't received any. I will check my settings. I will also post my technical questions in the correct forums. Really looking forward to kicking this off.

1955 GMC Series 1
248 to a Hydramatic 100
Re: 55 GMC Series 1 Project [Re: tclederman] #1331428 Sun Oct 27 2019 08:55 PM
M
msmalley Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by tclederman
msmalley,

Welcome to Stovebolt.com
You might want to also check out oldGMCtrucks.com
That year GMC engine and dash/gauges are different from a Chevrolet truck.
Brakes and most front end parts would most likely be the same.

Most likely you have a 100 series - 1/2 ton?
A Maintenance Manual should be available from parts vendors.
Here is an early 1955 manual with info on the H-M transmission.

You might as well drain the transmission and put in the correct fluid.
I do not recall if there is a transmission filter (members here should know).
That is a complicated transmission, if it needs repair.
The good news is that it is a good/strong transmission - it might need repairs.

Look here in the Tech Tips for advice on checking out a new truck.

In the Tech Tips, look at the 3.55 Ring & Pinion conversion (for a 3.55 ratio, instead of the 3.90 ratio).
You would need to obtain a 1948-1953 ring-gear carrier (GMC or Chevrolet 1/2 ton).

Tim,

Thank you very much for all of the advice. Yes this is a 100 Series 1/2 ton, and I will check on the manuals. I have visited the OldGMCTrucks site, it was actually the first site I found in my search. I tried to join but I never received a confirmation email from them so I think that the site isn't active. I have gone thru the site and downloaded all the information that I thought was relevant to my truck. I am surprised at the lack of information available for older GMC's on the web. I will repost my drive train questions on the correct forum, but it sounds like it would be worth sticking with the original kit. I just didn't want to go through all of the time and work to keep it if it wasn't going to add any value.

1955 GMC Series 1
248 to a Hydramatic 100
Re: 55 GMC Series 1 Project [Re: msmalley] #1332215 Fri Nov 01 2019 10:10 PM
S
Steelonsteel Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Welcome , MS , and what a beautiful truck! Sounds like you’re settled down there in Katy.
I’m an old Texan myself, though long ago.
That deluxe model, with hydramatic, is to me , worth keeping original. What a pleasure to drive .
This must have been the very last GMC new design bodies! I feel the one piece windshield in the old body style in the 54 55
trucks was already a customized look. A rare and original, keep it, enjoy it!

I have a large carbon footprint. That’s why my wife makes me take off my boots in the house.
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop