The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (moparguy, D B Cooper, dougs, 3 invisible), 257 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,445
Posts973,668
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rear Axle -- Hub won't come off
#1331013 Thu Oct 24 2019 10:55 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I have a spare HO72 axle here that I am trying to scavenge the Huck brakes from without disassembling them (still attached to the backing plate). I removed the axles and got one side off (hub off, backing plate bolts removed, easy peesy). But still, the rule that "It's never easy" is inviolate -- on the other side, after getting the axle out, the castellated nuts off, etc, the hub will not come off -- it won't come past the threads on the end of the axle tube. It seems like the bearings are catching on the threads. I tried jerking it a few times and then quit before I did real damage (wanted to save the hubs and bearing if I could).

I've done this exact same procedure on 4 HO72 axles so far and this is the first time to run into this issue. What am I doing wrong here? Or what gives?

Thanks,
John

John
"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto. KLAATU BARADA NIKTO!!!!"

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Rear Axle -- Hub won't come off
John Milliman #1331051 Thu Oct 24 2019 04:07 PM
E
Shop Shark
Perhaps the bearing spun on the spindle, wearing a groove. Does the bearing move at all, or does it appear to be stuck in one position?

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
John Milliman #1331073 Thu Oct 24 2019 07:59 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Ed, It moves a little (quarter inch? ) out to about where the threads start. There's a slight catch there I can jerk it over. And then it slams to a stop. At this point, I'm just trying to get the brakes parts and backing plate. I don't need the hubs, bearings or the axle housing itself. So if I have to destroy them to get it apart, oh well. I'm trying not to, but this is rapidly approaching the point of becoming "Too Hard" and the whole mess may go to scrap.

The bearing itself spins around the tube just fine.

I had taken the other side apart and the hub just about slid off the tube on its own -- took about 10 minutes. Did this side same way and I am on the second hour of screwing with it. I tried putting a wrecking bar on the back side (between the backing plate bolts and the back side dust cover/seal) and that didn't accomplish anything except to destroy the dust seal and probably bugger up the back side of the hub. As I seem to be the only person on the planet who is collecting Huck brake parts for a one ton, and I already have two sets, I may just call it quits and scrap this whole mess.

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

John Milliman #1331075 Thu Oct 24 2019 08:13 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Not the same scenario but, I had trouble removing the front wheels from my 42 big bolt (hub centered). I ended up using a small porta power very gently going back and forth (side to side) . Took awhile but it worked and caused no damage.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

John Milliman #1331078 Thu Oct 24 2019 08:30 PM
H
Boltergeist
If you're encountering a hard stop, not just a tight spot, there's probably a step worn in the load tube that one of the bearings is hanging up on. I'd suggest using a big 3-jaw puller to grab the hub flange equally, and use a 1/2" drive socket slightly smaller than the OD of the load tube threads for the puller jack screw to push against. That way you can apply even pressure all the way around the hub instead of getting it skewed sideways with a pry bar. Once you've got some moderate pressure applied to the hub, massage it a little with a hammer to help it jump over the worn spot. With enough pressure on the puller screw (impact wrench), the hub will come off and leave the inner bearing and seal on the load tube. Either way, you get the hub off more or less in one piece.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
John Milliman #1331079 Thu Oct 24 2019 08:52 PM
W
Master Gabster
Have you backed the brakes off. The drums may be grooved & not passing over the shoes.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

John Milliman #1331177 Fri Oct 25 2019 04:30 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Thanks George -- The drum came off very easy. Now I am trying to get the hub off and out of the way so I can remove the brakes as one unit (and still attached to the backing plate). Makes them easier to store.

I'll try what you all have suggested -- Thanks!

JM

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop