The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (Justhorsenround, aggie jon, J Lucas, cmayna, LAROKE, darthintel), 346 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,551
Posts930,409
Members42,652
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
65 C10 light switch wiring question #1330960 Thu Oct 24 2019 12:12 AM
L
Larry's65 Offline OP
creating memories
I have a 1965 C10 that the wiring was butchered up when I bought it. It had some other vehicle power steering column in it, maybe an Impala. The column turn signal system was not hooked up, instead they used one of those aftermarket hang on the column units.
I purchased and installed a keyless flaming river tilt column for my TH350 trans. I've had a ton of wiring issues trying to get the lights to work correctly. I've followed the trucks wiring diagram and even drawn out just the circuits I'm working with to try and understand how everything works.

So, my question at this point is about the light switch. When I pull the with out one notch, I have power on the purple wire and the front running lights are on, but not the rear. From what I can tell, the rear running lights would get power from the brown wire on the light switch. Should I have power on the brown wire when I pull out one notch, or even two notches? If it should have power, what wire does the power into the switch come in on?

For informational purposes, I have correctly rewired the rear tail light harness and front running, turn and headlight harness as well as the engine harness. I'm okay with wiring as long as it's A, B, C, just really bad at troubleshooting. Thanks for any help. I've been working to get the ol girl on the road for almost a year and I'm so close, and so frustrated.

Re: 65 C10 light switch wiring question [Re: Larry's65] #1330963 Thu Oct 24 2019 12:35 AM
Hambone Offline
Shop Shark
I cant answer your question directly, but scan utube for GM light switch troubleshooting. I pulled up a couple of those videos and they identified each terminal and function of the switch. I was able to fix and test my switches. It might help.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: 65 C10 light switch wiring question [Re: Hambone] #1331057 Thu Oct 24 2019 04:47 PM
L
Larry's65 Offline OP
creating memories
Thanks Hambone! Found a good video that helped identify wires and pins. Not sure it has helped me figure it out yet, but I'm beginning to think I may have ground issues. While I was testing, the light switch was not mounted in the dash and from the video I'm thinking it lacked ground. Going to pull the column and replace the column harness and then make sure everything is properly grounded. Here is the link to the video if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryuwnYO9GUw

Larry

Re: 65 C10 light switch wiring question [Re: Larry's65] #1331289 Sat Oct 26 2019 02:42 PM
L
Larry's65 Offline OP
creating memories
I pulled the column and then the column wiring harness. I discovered one of the column mounting bolts pierced the wiring shorting the purple and possibly brown wires. I installed the new harness, what a pain! and discovered the wires are still between the steering shaft and mounting bolts. I'm going to cut down the bolts and maybe only install one of them since the wiring is only behind one of the holes. Hopefully, all goes well from there having identified a probable cause for all the issues.

Re: 65 C10 light switch wiring question [Re: Larry's65] #1331388 Sun Oct 27 2019 02:42 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline
Shop Shark
Larry,
I just sent you a PM.

Moderated by  Hambone 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop