The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (Cosmo, 46SortaStock, ClassicsR4Me, 52Carl, 49oneton, 1 invisible), 315 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,562
Posts930,564
Members42,654
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329883 Mon Oct 14 2019 04:22 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Achipmunk, now you’ve got me thinking, maybe it is just the springs near the hooks that don’t have enough tension on them. I think I’m going to try and find some stronger springs for it. I did exactly what you did, and had to build up the catch plates on the top and bottom. When I first had the issue, there was no catch it all on the top, so of course I put one on there, I thought I solved the problem. But of course it didn’t. So I thought maybe the bottom hook wasn’t engaging completely on the bottom catch plate (and it wasn’t), so I built that up with some welding. Again thought I had it fixed, but to no avail. Now after reading all the suggestions I do think it could be week springs. It may not be for a week or two before I get time to swap the springs, but when I get them swapped out I will post the results.

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1330073 Wed Oct 16 2019 12:58 AM
B
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
I took one of my original spring to my local Westlake hardware store and found a match that worked out great.

Tim

"A house is built with boards and beams,a home is built with love and dreams"

Look deep before you leep !!!

"Everything is Everything"

"If I say a mouse can pull a house,Hitch him up"

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet
My 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: bowtietim] #1330221 Thu Oct 17 2019 07:15 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by bowtietim
I took one of my original spring to my local Westlake hardware store and found a match that worked out great.

Tim

I also found a nearly identical match in my local hardware store.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1330474 Sat Oct 19 2019 06:30 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Fixed!!

I went and got some stronger “return springs” for the hooks in the door, and so far so good. Thanks to everyone who replied and who helped out. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future as well.

Thanks again,
Jake

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  tclederman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop