The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Jeff Ogden, 1953 panel, Fox, D B Cooper, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,579
Posts930,675
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330236 Thu Oct 17 2019 03:08 PM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
My main trusses are 44' (24" oc) with 12" over hangs...I have a 16' ceiling so I could put a loft in the back corner. The main building is block and the 26' wide annex is stick built with an 11'-6" ceiling. It's 70' wide across the front.

Trust me when I say build it bigger then what you think you need, there is never enough room!

Mike B smile

Attached Files
Sept 2009 026.JPG (368.12 KB, 197 downloads)
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330243 Thu Oct 17 2019 06:49 PM
G
Green_98 Offline
Shop Shark
After 10 years in the pre-engineered metal building world as a project manager, quality manager, and lead estimator, I can say with confidence that insulation is one of the most difficult aspect of the project to deal with.

Condensation problems are always related to an incorrect insulation system being installed (or no insulation at all). The best thing to do is to get with an insulation supplier (Bay, Therm-All, Dominion), tell them what type of structure you are building and the zip code where it is being built, and they can give you a spreadsheet that shows the exact type and thickness of roof and wall insulation that is needed on your building. Tell them you want a building with no condensation issues. What you DONT want to do is go to Lowes and simply buy 6" of the cheap yellow stuff and think that will solve your insulation problems. It won't.

Also, if the insulation is un-faced (meaning there is no external vapor barrier), then you will have condensation issues. (Many people think they have roof leaks, when in fact, they ordered un-faced roof insulation and the condensation that drips down inside the building is often thought to be a roof leak. This is how I used to get the phone call "It hasn't rained in a month, yet my roof is leaking!!"). So, be sure your insulation order is for faced-insulation.

As far as interior ventilation, an independent engineer of record (foundation engineer) or perhaps even the city code official can give you guidance on how to properly ventilate the building. By using a combination of roof or wall mounted vents, 48" diameter cased-opening wall mounted fans, and even roof mounted ridge vents (single or multiple/continuous) with hand-chain operators can help you control the pressure inside the building.

-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330248 Thu Oct 17 2019 07:07 PM
S
sstock Offline
Shop Shark
Best thread that has been on here in awhile. Why we dont talk more about the perfect shop/garage is beyond me. I know it is the stovebolt but still need a decent building to build/maintain the stovebolt in.
May I offer a good website to research this interest in: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Get ready for spending some fun quality time in there, there are experts in every realm there, be it construction,materials, electrical, insulating state/and local regulations, soils and dirt work.

Steve

Last edited by sstock; Thu Oct 17 2019 07:09 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bli...n05i04t1aokgm4p04jiwgffwhyyih5xbk0h00410
1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330252 Thu Oct 17 2019 07:57 PM
G
Green_98 Offline
Shop Shark
Metal buildings are very tricky and you can get into costly problems if they are not ordered properly. Having a contractor that has a proven track record of metal building knowledge and erection is a MUST. Not every Joe-blow with a contractor licence knows metal buildings.

I will offer my assistance to anyone that has questions about how to lay out, design, order, and construct.

-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330263 Thu Oct 17 2019 10:47 PM
P
Phak1 Offline
Shop Shark
Green_98 is spot on as to insulation and condensation. I had a garage built a few years back and due to the slope I needed to dig the back side into the ground. The walls are concrete, sealed with a masonry sealer, 9’ high and the back is dug 8’ in the ground. so the the back and half of the side walls are always colder in the spring thru fall. On humid days the wall sweats so much you would swear that wall is leaking. I have done the plastic sheet taped to the wall test and proved that the water was from condensation and not a leak coming thru the wall. The sweating gets worse when I open the doors. After doing research, the only way to stop the condensation is to equalize the wall temperature to the ambient temperature. Insulation would solve this. It’s on my list of things to do! I am also installing a dehumidifier to dry thing out when the garage is closed up.

Mike_B is also right when he said “build it bigger then what you think you need, there is never enough room!”

Mine is only 24‘ wide and due to the constraint‘s of my property, it was as big as I could squeeze in. Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled that I have a place where I can store and work on my ‘52 Chevy 3100, but I am busting at the seams trying to find places to store all of the equipment required to work on these trucks. In this case, ”Size Does Matter”.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330292 Fri Oct 18 2019 02:42 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
All of the condensation issues with metal buildings is what made me build with block and stick. My ceiling in the main shop is steel with 14" of blown fiberglass in the attic and I never have condensation.

Mike B smile

Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330324 Fri Oct 18 2019 12:23 PM
T
TUTS 59 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am really wondering if it would just be better to stick build this shop. My slab is 28' x 40', I didn't have any real constaints on size it just would look better attached to the house. My original thought was to have the shop area 28' x 27' with 2 10' x 10' roll up doors and a 28' x 14' breeze way. What I have is a Manufactured Home, 32' x 86' on 3.5 acres. I the slab is butted up to one end with a 36' x 20' deck across the rear of the house. The steps for the deck land on the slab at the rear corner, thats where the breeze way comes in. I had thought of using a steel I beam to run the length of the building for the shop, that would allow me to have no center post and possibly a trolly and chain fall hoist. Currently I'm working out of a 12' x 24' protable building, as you say it's bursting at the seems. Like many of you I have way to many projects and just no time.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330363 Fri Oct 18 2019 06:31 PM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Truss build the roof and get a rolling gantry crane, it's way more versatile than a fixed beam. I got one that's 10x10 so I can back my trailer and truck under it for loading/unloading and it straddles a parked vehicle when not in use. It also goes under my 12' doors so I can use it outside as well.

Check out Lugnut's shop...I believe his shop is 24x24 so it will give you an idea of what you can do with your 27x28 space. Search the "Tool Box" section for his shop build.

Mike B smile

Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330766 Tue Oct 22 2019 01:14 PM
T
TUTS 59 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I helped a friend place his trusses yesterday for a barn he is building. His walls are going to be 12ft, I think I like that height as it has room for a lift. I wasn't happy with the construction of the trusses though, I'm just not sure about using 2" x 4" and not 2" x 6". I know it's acepted throughout the construction industry as standard, just didn't seem sturdy enough for my liking. headscratch

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: Steel Building [Re: TUTS 59] #1330899 Wed Oct 23 2019 05:25 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline
Shop Shark
Just saw this thread. My 25 X 26 shop is metal. I’m in central SC with plenty of moisture but no condensation issues have developed.
Rather than drone on about my shop, I’ll let you ask the questions. I will say that I’m 100% happy with my all metal shop. Installation took 1 full day by a 3 man hard working crew. I hired a company to spray closed cell foam insulation on the ceiling. I hung the plywood interior walls myself. Then I hung the electrical conduit too.
Here are a few links to view. Construction video time lapse
Another video Lift installation
Foam insulation video Insulation video

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop