The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Bicounty, 2ManyTrucks, carryall jerry, 52Carl, Bill Trotter, 1 invisible), 372 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,553
Posts930,440
Members42,652
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sand blasters ?? #1329811 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:36 AM
59chevy36 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Has anyone had any luck with sandblasters? my buddy bought one of the tank type blasters from a big box . we filled it with sand (recommended by the sand guy) and put some air to it (a 2hp 30 gal 6.5 cfm @ 40 psi) It blasts then if you stop it clogs and you have to empty and restart. What do you think we are doing wrong? Or is this just not the right equipment.? we are in fla and the humidity is usually 75% or higher could it be damp.

Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1329816 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:58 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
You definitely have to use dry air. You at a minimum need a moisture separator in your compressor discharge. A refrigerated dryer would be even better.

I have a small sandblast gun I got from Grizzly Industrial, and it works fairly well. It's a small job unit though. It recommends a compressor that will put out 11 cfm.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1329845 Mon Oct 14 2019 05:44 AM
52Carl Online
Master Gabster
South Florida. There's your trouble. Too humid on the best days.
You don't have enough compressor either.
Save yourself a lot of grief and find an affordable sandblasting shop.
I have gone through what you are trying to do, and I like to do it all myself, but I don't do any more sandblasting any more.

Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1329873 Mon Oct 14 2019 03:39 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
52Carl has, for once spoken the truth.
I HAD one of those pressure tank set ups from Tractor Supply, which is what most sale these days, and after I finished blasting my chassis i sold it for $100 to an unsuspecting guy. If it won't go in my bead blaster never again will I do it myself. The money to buy the tank/set up, then the sand, is a total waste of money.....but if you have a lot of blasting to do on small to medium parts, buy you a blasting cabinet and it will pay its way. I purchased a Skat Blast cabinet in 2001 and it still works great and I've blasted enough small stuff for folks to pay for it.............save your money, save your lungs, and save the stress.......just my two cents.

....example, just took the truck lid off my 50 coupe and had a fellow set up professionally to do it, and for 50 bucks left it one morning and picked it up that afternoon. Best money I ever spent.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: Achipmunk] #1329972 Tue Oct 15 2019 01:56 AM
52Carl Online
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
52Carl has, for once spoken the truth.

What the heck, Alvin?! I will ask you just like I have asked many others. When have I ever lied to you? (Misled with malicious intent does not count.) smile
Carl

Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1329990 Tue Oct 15 2019 08:37 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
Agree, not near enough compressor for sandblasting. A few questions about the pot itself: does it have both a air and sand control valve PLUS a bypass air hose from the air inlet line to the sand discharge valve. For small home jobs there is a moisture filter that uses a roll of toilet paper which lasts around 30 minutes in 80% humidity ( in Texas we call it the "Houston" filter). Have a case of TP on hand and change at first sign of spitting/clogging. Our big 240cfm compressor with a John Deere diesel engine has a baffled water separator first in the discharge line followed by an air to air separator which is followed by an air to water cooler/separator. We STILL get clogging at 85% and above humidity. As one of the guys said, "If your compressor is pumping water things are going to get wet". I'd bet this also applies to Florida.

Evan
Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1329999 Tue Oct 15 2019 01:04 PM
J
John Milliman Offline
Founder/Developer
With all respect due to Evan, I have to agree with Carl and Alvin. One of the best things I ever did was get rid of my pressure pot sand blaster. I'm with Alvin -- if it doesn't fit in the blast cabinet, I pay someone else to do it. If you don't have a professional set up (ginormous compressor and water filters/separators sufficient for the task), it's just an exercise in frustration.

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1330004 Tue Oct 15 2019 02:58 PM
tclederman Online
Boltergeist
I gave away a couple pressure pot sand blasters on Craigslist (I did not feel right about trying to sell them).

I kept, and used/use:
- a pressure-tank soda blaster (I gave it to a friend when I moved from NY)
- a nice Skat- Blast cabinet, using a mix of glass media and aluminum-oxide media, and an air cleaner/filter

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1330035 Tue Oct 15 2019 07:25 PM
59chevy36 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for all the in put . It sort of follows all the product reviews online. A lotta air low humidity. But since I am into self abuse I brought the thing home and am gona put some fine dry sand in it and give it a try.My buddy hopes it will work so we can do his frame and rear end. His wife is happy its outa the garage. Backup is I found a local guy with a big professional rig that can come to the house.

Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1330083 Wed Oct 16 2019 01:47 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
The problem is water collects at the bottom of the air hose where the sand is introduced...as soon as you stop blasting for any reason the sand gravity feeds into the hose and forms a wet plug.

I have a water separate right at the sand hopper, as well as at the compressor. My poor man's air dryer is 6 vertical sections of 3/4" copper tubing mounted on the wall making the air go up and down and back up again. I installed a 12" dirt leg on each air up leg with a valve at the bottom of the dirt leg, It's amazing how much water I blow out when I crack the valves open. If I do this set up again I'm going to use copper fin tube pipe (hot water heating pipe) as it has the alum fins and will help condense the water even better that the bare tubing.

If your sand gets wet, spread it out on a sheet of plastic on a hot driveway and mother nature will dry it out for re-use later.

If your sand is pulsating out the tip you need to restrict the sand flow a little bit, as your trying to flow to much sand.

Mike B smile

Attached Files
IMG_20171025_185911576.jpg (304.41 KB, 60 downloads)
Last edited by Mike B; Wed Oct 16 2019 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Sand blasters ?? [Re: 59chevy36] #1330092 Wed Oct 16 2019 02:25 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
That aftercooler setup is a good idea. A friend did a similar thing. I had a spare finned tube section that I gave him to use. Saw a video of a guy who welded up a 4 stage water to air condenser setup that probably worked awesome, but he spent days and $$ building it. It had two tubes inside a water jacket for each stage. Total overkill.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop