The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (DennisM, 52Carl, 49oneton, 78buckshot, DANNY J, 2 invisible), 325 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,562
Posts930,559
Members42,654
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rear Barn Door Question #1329729 Sun Oct 13 2019 02:04 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I'm having an issue with my rear barn doors on my 1950 Panel not staying latched. The latch assembly, catches, and everything involved with them works correctly (the doors close, latch, and unlatch), but with the slightest pressure I can pull the left side door open without using the handle. As long as the truck isn't moving, the doors stay closed. But when I start going down the road, even the slightest bump will cause the doors to pop open. I've replaced and beefed up the "catch plates" on the top and bottom of the door of the left side where the door "hooks" catch so there is full engagement, but like I said, just a slight pull (without using release handle) and the door opens. Is there a part or adjustment I could be missing inside the door, that keeps the "hooks" on the top and bottom of the left door from moving when the handle is not being pulled?

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329733 Sun Oct 13 2019 02:09 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
This is a lame guess/question : are the hinge pins tight (no door “wobble” due to wear)?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329736 Sun Oct 13 2019 02:30 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
No, those are good. No wobble. It just seems that the two “hooks” On the top and bottom of the driver side door, shouldn’t be able to be moved so easily without the handle being pulled. It’s kind of hard to describe, as I sit here and read over what I have typed, but for example I just take my index finger on the top “hook”, I can push it up and down really easily, Meaning it moves in and out of the door. I’ve tried every adjustment I can think of, including the long rods that connect the pull handle to the latch hooks on the top and bottom of the doors. It would almost seem to me that there would be some kind of “stop” near the pull handle, or near the hooks at the top of the door that would prevent them from being “pulled in,” without pulling the release handle.

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329752 Sun Oct 13 2019 05:38 PM
B
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
Are the small springs still intact and have good tension strength on the latches ?
barn door latch

Tim

"A house is built with boards and beams,a home is built with love and dreams"

Look deep before you leep !!!

"Everything is Everything"

"If I say a mouse can pull a house,Hitch him up"

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet
My 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329754 Sun Oct 13 2019 06:05 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
The springs are there. The hooks retract into the door when the Handle is pulled, then “spring” back out when the handle is released. I’ll double check how worn the tension is, maybe that is contributing to the issue.

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329758 Sun Oct 13 2019 06:26 PM
B
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
I would also check the adjustments of the adjustable rods to each latch.

Tim

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329786 Sun Oct 13 2019 10:34 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
....does yours have the spring on the "middle handle" itself that you pull back to open that door.....like on my 52.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329810 Mon Oct 14 2019 12:59 AM
B
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
Alvin , is this the spring you speak of on the left barn door?
door latch spring
door latch handle

Tim

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329860 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:25 PM
J
JakeM Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Everything seems to be correct based on diagrams I've seen and suggestions you've all made. I have the springs on the top and bottom of the door, and the one that is wrapped around the shaft of the handle that is in the middle of the door. I appreciate all the suggestions/help with this. I think I'll just have to fabricate something to prevent those hooks from retracting when the door is pulled outward. Or I could just keep the ratchet strap in there that is keeping tension on the door from the inside....

Re: Rear Barn Door Question [Re: JakeM] #1329871 Mon Oct 14 2019 03:28 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Yes Tim, thats the one.

Jakem, I had some what the same problem, not exactly but..... i ended up welding, building up, the "catch" that is fastened to the top and bottom of the body, and found the springs on the latch that goes in the door catches were very week. I lucked out and got a box of extra parts from a fellow bolter and after some tweaking and using parts better than mine the problem went away..

Good luck, and let us know what it took when you get it resolved.....Knowledge is our best resource!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  tclederman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop