The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 registered members (Bicounty, 52Carl, Bill Trotter, Apache1, 3B, 5 invisible), 263 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,551
Posts927,173
Members42,470
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: First Bolt-1963 Chevy Long Stepside [Re: 63stepsideLB] #1329406 Thu Oct 10 2019 01:35 AM
63stepsideLB Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dave, you and me both! I haven't driven it (or even heard it run) in over two years, so I'm ready to again drive

Quick update with what I got done in class today (I'm afraid I forgot to get any pictures, though):

We re-installed the reverse idler and cluster gear, made some new gaskets, and started to get the side cover and shift arms back together. Unfortunately, one of the splined shift shafts chewed up the lip seal when we installed it, so I'll have to get a new one of those. I'm thinking next time I'll install the shift arm first and then work the seal down around it, as that should make it easier to get the seal over the splines on the shift shaft without damaging it.

I managed to find out that the seal I need for the governor is available through O'Reilly's, but it's a special order item, so they have to get it direct from National, and none of the staff who were there the last time I went in knew how to do that. So, hopefully that'll be on the way here soon. The main thing I'm waiting on right now is for the supplier to get back with me about the speedometer worm and first drive gear. I can't do much more reassembly until I get those two. I may try reaching out to some other suppliers to see if their response time is any better. Normally, I wouldn't be worried about it at all, but this is technically a class project and I feel like I am beginning to hold up the class. I suppose, worst case scenario, we can shove all the parts over to one end of the workbench and work on the next project until I get the parts.

My engine rebuilding instructor said he'd take a look at my engine tomorrow evening and tell me what he thinks, so hopefully I can get some more done to the engine this weekend.

That's all for now, folks!

Cedric L. Brown
1963 Chevrolet C-10 long stepside
[url] https://photos.app.goo.gl/hE3wcWiY5FENFwfK2 [url/]
Re: First Bolt-1963 Chevy Long Stepside [Re: 63stepsideLB] #1329434 Thu Oct 10 2019 12:32 PM
T
TUTS 59 Online
Shop Shark
Just wanted to share a tip on installing your seal over the splined shaft. I have used shrink tubing in the past with pretty good results, cut the tubing long enough so that it extends past the end of the shaft, enough to pull it out once you've installed the seal. I light coat of assembly lube helps too. Good luck.

Last edited by TUTS 59; Thu Oct 10 2019 12:34 PM.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: First Bolt-1963 Chevy Long Stepside [Re: 63stepsideLB] #1329490 Fri Oct 11 2019 12:11 AM
63stepsideLB Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for the tip, that might be just the thing. Next time I'm in town I'll see if I can track down some of that tubing big enough to fit over the shaft

Cedric L. Brown
1963 Chevrolet C-10 long stepside
[url] https://photos.app.goo.gl/hE3wcWiY5FENFwfK2 [url/]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  HandyAndy, John Milliman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop