Dave, you and me both! I haven't driven it (or even heard it run) in over two years, so I'm ready to again
Quick update with what I got done in class today (I'm afraid I forgot to get any pictures, though):
We re-installed the reverse idler and cluster gear, made some new gaskets, and started to get the side cover and shift arms back together. Unfortunately, one of the splined shift shafts chewed up the lip seal when we installed it, so I'll have to get a new one of those. I'm thinking next time I'll install the shift arm first and then work the seal down around it, as that should make it easier to get the seal over the splines on the shift shaft without damaging it.
I managed to find out that the seal I need for the governor is
available through O'Reilly's, but it's a special order item, so they have to get it direct from National, and none of the staff who were there the last time I went in knew how to do that. So, hopefully that'll be on the way here soon. The main thing I'm waiting on right now is for the supplier to get back with me about the speedometer worm and first drive gear. I can't do much more reassembly until I get those two. I may try reaching out to some other suppliers to see if their response time is any better. Normally, I wouldn't be worried about it at all, but this is technically a class project and I feel like I am beginning to hold up the class. I suppose, worst case scenario, we can shove all the parts over to one end of the workbench and work on the next project until I get the parts.
My engine rebuilding instructor said he'd take a look at my engine tomorrow evening and tell me what he thinks, so hopefully I can get some more done to the engine this weekend.
That's all for now, folks!