The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (dsword, KEVINSKI, J Lucas, Joe Alan, 3hansens, Eureka Jim), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,065
Posts1,018,870
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gas Tank on 1948 GMC 3/4 ton
RyanC #1328577 Thu Oct 03 2019 12:10 AM
A
ASU Offline
'Bolter
RyanC,

On mine, I used 2 pieces of 3x2 angle iron to fab some supports under the tank, between the cross members. Mine has the cross member in front of the axle, and just under the cab. I made it so the brackets dropped about 3", not straight between the cross members. This kept the tank lower between the frame rails and the filler neck just above the top of the frame rail. Let me know if you want pics from below, I can get some tomorrow.

Jon

RyanC #1328578 Thu Oct 03 2019 12:18 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by RyanC
Pictured above is a 48 Chev. 3/4 ton, I see the straps above, but how is that tank held in place? Isn't there a lot of frame bracing that is in that area as well? If there is room for that tank there could it be mounted from below? The other spot I am now looking at is the area where the spare tire would go. Either spot, I may need a little instruction on parts I'll need to fabricate to hold in the tank in place. At this point a factory tank will not be possible as they are just not out there.

If you're talking about the figure from the FAM I posted, the tank is supported by sheet metal straps that bolt to the bottom of the frame rail and to the end of the brackets that are secured to the frame and extend over the tank. A similar method is used on the 38 gallon tank on my F250 - just straps below the tank.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
RyanC #1329150 Mon Oct 07 2019 07:15 PM
R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
I'm just trying in my mind on how to fabricate the correct parts to hang an aftermarket tank. Some photos would help if that's a possibility. I do know for certain I can modify an inside cab mounted tank and it will fit in the stock location but that requires moving the filler and sending unit, and putting in a pickup line somewhere. I'm hoping to do this with the least amount of headache. For some reason the tank has been the hardest part.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop