The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (51 3804, D B Cooper, gsharum, fonz8261, Jeler, 1 invisible), 344 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,536
Posts930,283
Members42,649
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329067 Mon Oct 07 2019 12:16 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Here is what I did. There is a light bulb in the ignition switch bracket which illuminates the the ignition key area when the headlights are on.
I cut the wire for that light and wired it to the "ignition-on" terminal of the ignition switch.
Now, when my Chinese-made ignition switch remains "on", in spite of the fact that the key has been turned to the "off" position and the key has been removed, the light reminds me that the ignition is still "on".
Carl

Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329076 Mon Oct 07 2019 12:48 AM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Carl, thats a good Idea. I kinda like the idiot light idea. My alternator does have another set of terminals and I’ve seen some miniature red LED indicator lights on flea bay. Now to locate a suitable spot on or under the dash. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329077 Mon Oct 07 2019 12:58 AM
C
cmayna Offline
Shop Shark
I'm confused here.....what else is new?
Is your key locked to your ignition switch while in the on position? If so, is the ignition switch attached to your daily key ring? Meaning, you can't get into your house or fire up any of your other cars unless you have your daily key ring in hand.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329084 Mon Oct 07 2019 01:40 AM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
No, I’m in the process of working out all of the mechanical and electrical issues, so I’m not driving it at the moment. The truck is in my garage, so the single key was in the ignition while I troubleshot the gas gauge. After going thru the grueling process of removing/installing the cluster to install a new 12 volt gas gauge, I found that the float on my new sending unit wasn’t floating which sent me off in another direction, forgetting about the ignition still being on.

If I was driving I don’t believe it would be an issue.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329087 Mon Oct 07 2019 01:52 AM
J
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
If your not driving it a simple solution would be to remove the positive battery cable before quitting for the day and don’t reconnect it unless working on the ign/electrical system.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1329111 Mon Oct 07 2019 11:45 AM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I see a battery kill switch in my future. I installed one on my boat not too long ago and it works great!

I remove the negative terminal which accomplishes the same goal but It’s the recommended and safest way to disconnect the battery. The reasoning is if your loosening the bolt on the positive terminal and your wrench accidentally hits ground it will create a spark. A spark near the battery potentially can ignite the hydrogen gasses the battery generates during charging. I personally saw a battery explode in my father face while he was hooking up a set of jumper cables. It wasn’t a pretty sight. He was fortunate he was wearing large reading glasses that saved his eyes. I gained allot of respect for batteries that day almost fifty years ago.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Justhorsenround] #1329154 Mon Oct 07 2019 07:54 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
If your not driving it a simple solution would be to remove the positive battery cable before quitting for the day and don’t reconnect it unless working on the ign/electrical system.

Agree with Martin.
I disconnect the neg every time I get out of my truck. Just can't sleep at night with battery hooked up. The cable clamp is just right to put it on and twist a little. There is no cure for paranoia, so this is the only answer. A light does not work on idiots, so I can't use that.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1332781 Wed Nov 06 2019 07:12 PM
L
LeeD Offline
Shop Shark
In reading the original post, it appears that part of the issue arrises from needing to work on the electrical system troubleshooting with the ignition on (not necessarily forgotten to be turned off), in that case, I just pull my coil wire to keep power from the points. It saves them anyway. I also have a quick disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery, it makes it so easy to isolate the battery.

Lee

1956 Chevy 3200
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1332793 Wed Nov 06 2019 09:03 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Are you pulling the high voltage wire or the 12v supplying power to the coil?.

I just installed a battery cutoff switch using the negative side to break the circuit. Now when I disconnect the battery when I leave the shop.

I tried to install an idiot light but I couldn’t get it work with my one wire alternator.

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Wed Nov 06 2019 09:05 PM.

Phil

12v w/ Alternator
Re: Leaving Ignition Switch On [Re: Phak1] #1332821 Thu Nov 07 2019 02:28 AM
L
LeeD Offline
Shop Shark
I am pulling the booted plug off the top of the distributor, I believe that will keep the points from getting power even if they happen to be closed (that is what I was told anyway, and I have not burned up any points yet). I just do it when I will be working with the ignition switch on for any length of time. I really like the battery disconnect switch, so much easier than getting out my half inch wrench and loosening the clamp bolt.

Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop