The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (3B, coilover, DS1957GMC), 194 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,957
Posts969,687
Members43,802
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Love aint cheap anymore
#1328726 Fri Oct 04 2019 04:57 AM
C
Shop Shark
When I was a kid in the 50's two drive in movie tickets, two dollars spent at the concession stand, and the right girl would result in fogged up windows but not anymore. While at my nephews place in Iowa I fell in love with his Walker zero turn mower so scouted out some on the computer as soon as I got home. A 2017 gas one is offered at a give a way price of 13k while a 2018 diesel is a mere 18.5k. Didn't even look up new prices as I'm no longer in love.

Evan
Re: Love aint cheap anymore
coilover #1328728 Fri Oct 04 2019 08:03 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
When I was a kid in the 40's my Saturday afternoon allowance bought a ticket to the Tivoli for 50cents,
a popcorn for 10c, a drink was 10c, a nickle went for a box of Jujyfruits, which left a quarter for your pocket.
With that we got a half dozen cartoons and a feature movie you could stay and watch as many times as you
wanted.
But then I went and grew up in the 50's and graduated to those drive in's you mentioned and on Friday nights,
$2 got a ticket to SantaFe park for the Stock car (real) or Midget races. 50cents for a pack of Lucky's and another
half a buck for a big cup of draft beer. A buck and a quarter bought five gallons of gas for my $200 prize '51
Chevy 2-dr and if I got lucky.....once in a while I could fog up the windows in it after the races.
Since moving to Shangri La a few years back.....the Kabota I bought to move the snow/trees/dirt piles relieved
me of $18K and it doesn't even mow the grass. Tho old JD which was left in the barn, which doesn't have a bucket
to move snow, but does mow the grass....cost me $5k to rebuild the motor.
And the story goes on and on and my retirement savings gets smaller and smaller. I'm incapable of fogging up
windows now a days in my $30,000 compact SUV. I hate to, and can't afford to, go out to the Tivoli anymore,
so I pay an arm and a leg each month for movies and commercials on the T&V. I'm not allowed to have Jujyfruits
or beer any more and got no teeth to eat popcorn with and thank the Lordy that I don't have to suck on those
Lucky's today.
But......I've got a nice place to hang my hat and I'm not starvin' and....I still have 23 more to look forward to.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; Fri Oct 04 2019 08:15 AM.
coilover #1328735 Fri Oct 04 2019 11:23 AM
Shop Shark
Hardly ever fogged up the windows in a car. I had a 65 Chevy panel van with no side windows or side doors.
Cooler full in the back, some snacks, pillows/blankets and a good stereo.
Open the rear doors to watch the movie until we got bored then,
Shut the rear doors and we had the whole back of the van to roll around in.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
coilover #1328741 Fri Oct 04 2019 11:39 AM
W
Master Gabster
Hate and disillusions aren't either. When I was a teeanager I made $2 a week to clean the church, one room, and get up at 5 am to set the fire in the woodstove and light the oil stove and $2.20 a week to deliver 22 papers on foot. But there was no real place to spend it, I guess that is where I learned to save We did have a trip to the roller rink a couple of times a year and that substituted for dating. You could skate around and hold the girl's hand for a while until some smart-aleck tried to bust through. Oh well for the good old days.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
coilover #1328753 Fri Oct 04 2019 01:13 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Love the thought of the "Golden years"! We farmed and I was Dad's farm hand! In 1966 I got 5 dollars a week which figured out to be about 10 cents an hour. 1966 got my first car 1961 Chevy Impala Conv't. Dad said just fill up your tank from the farm tank 2 months later he said "Boy I will give you $10.00 a week you buy your own gas"! Still could go on a date, have a burger & pop, drive in, listen to the pitter patter on the soft top, fog the windows up, and be home by 11pm! (Curfew)! Today at almost 70 yrs. old the only fogging up I get is when I stand to close to my wife when she is giving me the devil for spending big money on the 59! Oh well I can still LOL!

Coilover: try going out buying a new over JD 3203 with all the toys and yes I do love it takes care of 14 acres! I could buy 3 brand new Dodge Power Wagons for what I paid for tractor. Yes I had a brand new 83 Power Wagon!

Last edited by popcornBen; Fri Oct 04 2019 01:23 PM.

Pops the truth is out there!

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop