The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, Luckywolf4647, 1 invisible), 192 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,959
Posts960,710
Members43,525
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Any one remember the Montgomery Wards Tools ?
#1327712 Wed Sep 25 2019 08:37 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have a wrench from my dads old tool box and it is a box end that says Wards Lakeside on it .. I forgot about it ,,,until the other day when I picked it up needing a wrench ,,,some years ago the tools I gave my son were his also ,,my dad liked Monkey Wards tools . .But,, I thought the tools I gave my son said somtehing like Wards Masters on them .. any one remember ither of these names being Wards wrenches?

Re: Any one remember the Montgomery Wards Tools ?
idaho39 #1327715 Wed Sep 25 2019 09:17 PM
Master Gabster
I've got a set of Ward's Power Craft combination wrenches that I bought in the '60's. Good wrenches.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
idaho39 #1327720 Wed Sep 25 2019 10:02 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I have a micrometer I bought from MW years ago. I also have a "Penncraft" 1/2 drive ratchet from JC Penney. I think I got that back in the 60's. Still use that.

Just went out and took a pic of the micrometer, but forgot that pics can't be posted here on the 'spoon.
It's marked Powr-Craft

Last edited by klhansen; Wed Sep 25 2019 10:12 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
idaho39 #1327723 Wed Sep 25 2019 10:40 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yes,guys ,,that was the name of his tools I gave my son,, Power Kraft ..I just read that Wards sold Airline and River Side tools also plus Power Kraft ..so I did not find that Wards sold a Wards Lakeside tool ,,but yet I have one.. must be worth a fortune huh? yeah sure!

idaho39 #1327763 Thu Sep 26 2019 01:29 AM
Master Gabster
I have a MW microwave above the oven. Does that count? It makes microwave popcorn perfectly at 3 minutes. The wife wanted a new one. I said nope. She loves popcorn so I think I am safe.
Well at least until tomorrow, since I am boasting about talking her out of something...

idaho39 #1327931 Fri Sep 27 2019 03:48 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
I was a Craftsman convert from a very young age. Snap On was for the Champagne budgets,
Sear Roebuck & Co. was for us beer budget folks and Monkey Ward was....well, lets just say,
not that popular, about on the same level as Western Tire.
But in the end, the only one left hanging on today is Snap On. Craftsman tools now are of the same
make and feel as Harbor Freight, that is made in China, so you might just as well get you tools from
HF and save two thirds the cost, same quality now a days. Thank the Lordy that I started buying those
good old Craftsman tools when I was a kid, the roll-about is still stocked with those original tools
I bought one at a time with my weekly allowance back in the 50's.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

idaho39 #1328532 Wed Oct 02 2019 04:09 PM
J
Shop Shark
I bought a set of Power Kraft wrenches in the 60s...Wards offered free freight and included a very nice tool box. There were a couple of very old wrenches in our basement and I think the name on them was Riverside...could have been Lakeside. Over the years I also picked up some Sears tools. I broke 2 Wards sockets (which they replaced free) and the number of Craftsman sockets I broke probably would be 4--also cheerfully replaced free. In fairness, I always expected the Sears tools to be tougher so I probably used them harder but were they really? It would be hard to say and while I worked for Sears I was told the same company made hand tools for both Sears and Wards...which made sense as this was pretty common practice. I still have the Power Kraft tools (except for a 9/16" socket which came off inside a box frame, rolled to a low spot and couldn't be retrieved. I also bought a Power Kraft torque wrench. After over 50 years the rivets holding the scale in place gave up. Aside from that, it is still fine. Harbor Freight tools? I guess they're ok for the price.

Where I think Sears really had the edge wasn't hand tools at all. It was power tools. I have a Sears table saw (cast iron table) which will still be working when I'm long gone and the accuracy and the simplicity of use makes today's table saws look absolutely pathetic until you get to the point where you're spending $3000 or more for one. Today's saws are safer to use, but I'd rather have a nice dangerous saw that will make an exact cut 50 or 500 times in a row than a safe one which can't make the same cut twice and has a plastic table.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
idaho39 #1328538 Wed Oct 02 2019 06:20 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Oh yeah! The old, really old, Sears, Roebuck & Co. power tools were solid as a rock.
My main stay are my Sears floor drill press, 10" table saw, 8" table saw, 10" radial arm saw,
Jig saw, 6" jointer/planer and a host of hand power tools, drills, sanders, saws.
All from the 50's and all still giving good service and used pretty regularly.
The real shame of it all is.....what has kept them going has been the availability of parts
in the past, and now that's all gone away as this grand old company is being destroyed
and dismantled.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

idaho39 #1328582 Thu Oct 03 2019 01:06 AM
J
Shop Shark
I have a 10 inch Sears radial arm saw also, and I've learned how to use it to make all manner of things and I've even built an adapter to mount a router on it (which expands what can be done by quantum degrees). I know the woodworking purists out there may scoff at the radial arm saw and say it has no precision, but I don't agree with that at all. I've seen some radial arm saws I wouldn't give $50 for, but the Craftsman certainly isn't one of them. In the 70s they (Sears) had a scratch & dent store downtown and you could buy anything they had for roughly 60% of the regular price.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
idaho39 #1328589 Thu Oct 03 2019 02:06 AM
S
Shop Shark
I've had a Rigid radial arm saw for years; works great and makes great cuts. I like being able to secure the material and move the saw, rather than a table saw where you have to move the material against a fixed saw. I do have a small Delta table saw, but the Rigid is my main warhorse.

-Kevin

This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop