The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (GeorgeCz, 48bigtrucks, DennisM, Cosmo, Cozsum, Eureka Jim), 204 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,402
Posts973,268
Members43,924
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Spindles
#1328154 Sun Sep 29 2019 09:33 PM
S
Steve_H Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have a 52 3100. And a spare 54 1st for parts. The front left spindle on my 52 is worn and won't hold the kingpin bushings. After a while I get the wanders. So I pulled the spindles off the 54. They look the same but with bigger bolt holes for the tie rod mounts and the steering arm. 7/16 in the old and 1/2 in the 54. Not a big issue, cause I have all the bits and parts that bolt on. My question is this: Are there any difference left to right? I can't see any, but that don't mean too much. The 54 left is cut at just about the cotter pin hole. Why? I don't know. I can clean the threads up, but I can't fix the cotter pin hole issue. So I was thinking about a "frankenstein" approach. I have tried the JB weld fix for the bushing. It still gets loose. And the wander comes back. But now I have another idea. Thanks to this site and the guys that post. I have a Moog PN for the oversized king pin bushing. That would seem to be the best fix(I think). But the original question still worries me. Is there a difference left to right in the spindles? Just curious but now I want to know. A PN difference? Any one know? Thanks in advance. Steve

Steve H
Re: Spindles
Steve_H #1328167 Sun Sep 29 2019 11:19 PM
G
Same part number left and right.

Info on installing kingpins in 1/2 ton:
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1164695/Re:_How_to_fit_new_kingpins_an.html

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Steve_H #1328260 Mon Sep 30 2019 05:02 PM
S
Steve_H Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Grigg. Where did you find the Part numbers? I been looking at these for some time. Nice to know I was not just crazy. The differences in the bolt size can be worked around. I could even open the early ones to the 1/2 inch if need be.

Steve H
Steve_H #1328266 Mon Sep 30 2019 05:41 PM
S
Steve_H Offline OP
Shop Shark
So after some more reading. And some nice tips from others I have a Francken truck. The VIN says 52. The huck brakes in the back say pre 51. And the things I have done(12 volt swap) say it is now a restomod. Bendix front brakes are fine with me. The parts are cheaper and easier to find. Drums, wheel cylinder, and shoes. Not too bad. The rear? That is a project.2 years ago I had a pinion bearing fail. Not the whine and **** you off kind of fail. Nope. Not for me. Spit a roller or 2 out and lock up the whole thing kind of fail.The only good news was 1 home in the driveway. 2 slow and not loaded. Any way, I need to replace the ring and pinion(expensive) or find another third member. Or go to an open driveshaft. What I found was an abandoned project chassis. It was together, but cut right at the park brake cross shaft. A couple of 2x4 to prop up the frame and it was free if towed away. It came with an engine, trans and a working third member. After I got it home I realised it had a 54 cross member and a 54 235. So that was a plus. My buddy has a 57 and this was the same as his. Spares. The ring and the pinion were good. No pits and very little wear. The bearings were good as well. The swap went as expected. Big parts are heavy. The banjo(the third member housing) was left alone. I did not take it out of my truck. I did pull the toque tube out as a piece. and the carrier out as a piece. Swapped in the "new" stuff and was back on the road in a day. So I stripped the cut frame and now my shed is full. But the thing with the spindles has kept me fussing. Now winter has provided me with a bit of time to clean stuff up and make it a less confusing mix of parts. I plan on changing the banjo out to get the Bendix brakes on the back. That could be a bit of fun. The bolts for the spring mounts are stuck right proper. Time will tell. Thanks for the help.
Steve

Steve H

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop