The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Comediann, classicchevs, blueck), 153 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,069
Posts970,530
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fuse Block Addition
#1327004 Sat Sep 21 2019 02:30 AM
M
morerog Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hello;
I'm adding a fuse block after the ignition switch, and wonder if I'm on track. The photo shows what I'm thinking will work but would sure benefit from your input. Obviously the block is not in yet, but to illustrate;

On the left side the blue wire coming in from the left will be 10 gauge coming from the ignition switch. Since this old block does not appear to have a metal bar extending down the lead side my plan is to link each fuse down the line. Each pole after the fuse leads to an accessory (radio, cigarette lighter, blower motor, etc.) and then from the accessory will be grounded to the body.

My simple (but complicated) question is... will this work?

Thank you,
Roger Schroeder
1951 Chevy 3600

[img]https://www.photagape.com/p905622885[/img]

Re: Fuse Block Addition
morerog #1328070 Sun Sep 29 2019 04:15 AM
G
Shop Shark
Should work fine. Just did this same thing on a friend's 36 ford. If you are concerned at all put a 40 amp fuse in the 10 gauge wire.

Last edited by GWWirth; Sun Sep 29 2019 04:16 AM.
morerog #1328077 Sun Sep 29 2019 09:39 AM
B
General Purpose
Not sure what aspect you are asking "will work"? If the words "after the ignition switch" means the ignition switch will supply the power, then one side will be switched hot, the other side will be switched fused hot. I would definitely not use that fuse block unless you are trying to simulate what you think was stock. Where will it be mounted?

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

morerog #1328118 Sun Sep 29 2019 04:19 PM
V
Shop Shark
Instead of the ign switch carrying the full load of all those circuits, you might what to consider using the key switch to activate a relay and let it carry the load. I did this recently with good results.

May increase the ign switch's longevity.
Good luck
Dave

morerog #1328135 Sun Sep 29 2019 07:39 PM
D
Shop Shark
Roger, I can't tell for sure from the photo, but the first terminal on that block where the blue wire feeds in looks like it may connect through to its mounting bracket. I would not use that terminal if that is correct, since it would normally ground when mounted to anything metal. Instead, you could use the first fuse terminal as the feed point, and jump to the next. But in fact, since that block has a cracked end - on the right - the insulator material is probably brittle, and to echo Bart', I would not recommend using that particular block.

It would be better to get a new block with an appropriate feed buss, such as made by Blue Sea Systems, for example: 6 Glass Fuse Block. They also have fuse blocks that use modern blade fuses, and choices for the number of circuits. If interested, look around their website, find a part number for a style that you like, and shop online at multiple sources for better pricing. Their blocks are generally better made than some of the no-name, foreign-sourced fuse blocks that you may see online.

Any high current circuits (typically lights, horns, etc) would benefit from using point-of-load relays as Dave suggested, although for best protection, they should be fused in their power feed, in any event.

Doug

morerog #1328142 Sun Sep 29 2019 08:49 PM
B
General Purpose
If you are going to use this old style fuse block, smash a piece of copper tubing flat, and drill 4 or 5 holes in it as a bus bar.
Better idea is to get an ATC fuse block.

Attached Files
ATC fuse.jpg (94.98 KB, 116 downloads)

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

morerog #1328151 Sun Sep 29 2019 09:25 PM
E
Shop Shark
Second on not adding additional loads through ignition switch, use a relay.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
morerog #1328861 Sat Oct 05 2019 05:35 AM
G
Shop Shark
A relay is a good idea. On my 46 I ran separate grounds to every light. I used the ground or neutral bus strip used in circuit breaker panels as a common connection point. They sell them separately at the home improvement stores.

morerog #1329318 Wed Oct 09 2019 03:29 AM
M
morerog Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks all. I went with the ATC fuse block approach for unswitched items (headlights, etc.). I like the idea of letting the switch activate a relay for switched accessories. Already installed relays for headlights.

morerog #1329320 Wed Oct 09 2019 03:33 AM
M
morerog Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
GWWirth; If I read your note correctly you ran a ground wire back from every light to a common grounding bar. (Better than me trying to find a good ground under the rust). Did the bar get the ground directly from the battery ground strap?
Thanks

Rog

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop