The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Rustnut, hippydave, homer52, festerhairball, 1Ton_tommy), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,967
Posts1,036,051
Members45,902
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1319689 Mon Jul 29 2019 03:13 PM
R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
As it appears to be that there is no replacement for the gas tank on a 1948 GMC 3/4 ton. The tank mounts partially under the cab and under the bed as well. I'd like to know if there is a modern replacement that will work in it's place. I was wondering if maybe one of the tanks off of a newer square body would fit nicely into place of if there is something else that is equivalent. I'd prefer minimal fabrication, although I know I will have to make some custom tank straps, but I would like it to mount in the same location, and be able to put the filler in a similar location as original as well. I believe the filler went through the filler piece between the bed and the running board on these. I figured since this was fuel delivery for the engine this would fit into the engine category, and I couldn't find anything on the subject in the search.

A
ASU Offline
'Bolter
RyanC,

I have a flatbed on my 48 Chevy 3/4 ton, but had the same problem. I put a U-4 tank from Tanksinc.com in mine. the filler neck comes right over the frame rail.

Jon

Attached Images
IMG_0118.JPG (25.56 KB, 176 downloads)
G

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
C
'Bolter
That's where the fill neck should be on a 48. Picture of factory set up.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/FYBtNvJK/gas-tank-013.jpg[/img]

Evan
R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
The above photo is of the 1/2 ton version, the 3/4 ton does a similar thing but mounts more in the center of that spot since most 3/4 tons were 7 foot beds. The 1/2 ton gas tank mounts more towards the axle from what I have found in diagrams, but I couldn't find a diagram of a 3/4 ton. But that tank does mount about 1/2 under the cab, 1/2 under the bed.

R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
Does anyone have any factory manuals or books that show what the gas tank and mounting would have looked like in a 48 GMC 3/4 ton? I was looking at a universal tank and wanted to compare the 2. I do not have a tank so I have nothing to go by.

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Factory Assembly Manual Section 8, Sheet 1.01

Note that this is dated 1953. I'm assuming the '48 3/4 ton would be the same.

Attached Images
IMG_2476.JPG (225.73 KB, 113 downloads)

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
That's exactly what the hangers look like, does it say anything about dimensions of the tank? That picture is very helpful, thank you.

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by RyanC
That's exactly what the hangers look like, does it say anything about dimensions of the tank?

That's all there is. No tank dimensions. You might be able to guesstimate the tank size by measuring the brackets. The Vehicle Information packet on the GM Heritage website might have tank capacity, which might help you get closer on dimensions.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
R
RyanC Offline OP
'Bolter
Pictured above is a 48 Chev. 3/4 ton, I see the straps above, but how is that tank held in place? Isn't there a lot of frame bracing that is in that area as well? If there is room for that tank there could it be mounted from below? The other spot I am now looking at is the area where the spare tire would go. Either spot, I may need a little instruction on parts I'll need to fabricate to hold in the tank in place. At this point a factory tank will not be possible as they are just not out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop