The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Flatblu4748, 49 3100, 47bolter, Johnny N, Hambone, dirty230), 313 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,461
Posts929,707
Members42,641
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Powerglide Automatic Transmission Shift Lever Assembly #1327377 Mon Sep 23 2019 05:34 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
1966 Chevy c-10 Short/Step. Powerglide transmission..In tracing down a horn issue, I took off the steering wheel and found burnt wires inside. New harness is on its way. However, I decided to replace the on the column old shift lever with a shiny new one.. I removed the "roll pin" and pulled the old handle out. In inserting the new handle I found a half inch long 3/8 inch diameter spring lying in the area where the lever sets in. In looking at the remaining white grease on the OLD lever, it appears that the spring goes on the end of the lever prior to it being seated into the column and the reinstall of the roll pin. I assembled it that way - and the lever action didn't feel right. Does that spring lie beside the shift lever? Does it provide the "spring back" function when you are operating the lever?

Thanks - Tim-o

Re: Powerglide Automatic Transmission Shift Lever Assembly [Re: Tim-o] #1327515 Tue Sep 24 2019 01:32 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have been searching the internet and found several posts entitled "how to fix a floppy shifter" that I believe addresses this issue. According to what I have seen, the 3/4 inch spring lies horizontal and presses on the shift lever forcing it to push the lever toward the front of the truck. As soon as my other new parts arrive - I'll give it a shot and follow-up.

Tim-o

Re: Powerglide Automatic Transmission Shift Lever Assembly [Re: Tim-o] #1327571 Tue Sep 24 2019 09:54 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
In the interest for furthering Stovebolt education, I found the GM (Saginaw) Shift Lever Spring Replacement instructions at the link below. Tim-o

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.c...rolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/shiftspring.pdf

Last edited by Tim-o; Tue Sep 24 2019 09:56 PM.
Re: Powerglide Automatic Transmission Shift Lever Assembly [Re: Tim-o] #1327726 Wed Sep 25 2019 11:25 PM
Hambone Online
Shop Shark
Good reference. Thanks for sharing.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: Powerglide Automatic Transmission Shift Lever Assembly [Re: Tim-o] #1327940 Fri Sep 27 2019 06:12 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
One more followup. I was able to seat the spring using this procedure: 1) Insert the shift lever and seat it in position - leaving the roll pin out. 2)Tilt the shift lever toward the dash providing extra room for the spring insertion. 3) Lay the spring flat (in the position it goes in) and compress it so that it squeezes between the shift lever and the column housing. 4) Using a flat screwdriver with about a half inch tip, gently slide the spring down into position. Once in position the shift lever holds the spring in the proper place. 5) Pull the shift lever toward you to align the roll pin hole - while keeping the lever properly seated on the column. 6) Insert the roll pin and cover with the small shift boot. Tim-o

Moderated by  Hambone 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop