The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,550
Posts966,278
Members43,699
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
prepping factory patch panels
#1327082 Sat Sep 21 2019 03:46 PM
M
Shop Shark
I'm about ready to start on my cab, and have purchased patch panels and pieces for it. They're all coated in the black coating, whatever it is. I'm assuming that I need to wipe them down with solvent, and then scuff them, and then put a coat of epoxy on them prior to use. Please tell me if I am right, and if not, please tell me what I need to do. THANKS

Re: prepping factory patch panels
Mike Burns #1327087 Sat Sep 21 2019 03:54 PM
B
Shop Shark
I think it depends on the coating. Some of the panels I bought were covered with paint, which I wiped off with acetone before scuffing. Others seemed to have a tougher coating that the acetone wouldn't touch, on those I just scuffed and painted.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Mike Burns #1327179 Sun Sep 22 2019 02:06 AM
Master Gabster
If I was paying someone to do a $10,000.00+ paint job, I would not trust any finish applied to an aftermarket panel.

Mike Burns #1327199 Sun Sep 22 2019 04:36 AM
B
Shop Shark
If I was paying someone to do a $10,000 paint job I would expect them to prep the panels. Of course, I wound never pay that much for a paint job, at least not for my truck, which is going to be a driver, not a show truck.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Mike Burns #1327248 Sun Sep 22 2019 06:05 PM
M
Shop Shark
I read on another forum from a guy who uses quite a bit of the black coated panels, he has stripped a few and found surface rust or other defects that he wouldn't have left there if he were prepping bare metal. So now he strips them all.

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop