The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (coilover, crenwelge, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,066
Posts1,018,872
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
216 question
#1326461 Tue Sep 17 2019 02:22 AM
S
'Bolter
hello,

I have two questions about my 216 motor.

1) I popped off the valve cover to replace the gasket and found this tyoe of cross over tube that is not really secure in its installation. What is it exactly and how is it supposed to be installed? I can't imagine it is supposed to be rattling in there with the rockers and what not.

2) what is in the picture mounted on the front of the engine with the Radiator hose coming out of it?

Thanks for all the help! I am trying to get this all original truck to run and drive on its own power, well just for fun really. I distraction from my main project.

Attached Files
IMG_5640.jpg (211.29 KB, 161 downloads)
IMG_5641.jpg (272.48 KB, 163 downloads)
IMG_5642.jpg (309.01 KB, 165 downloads)
IMG_5643.jpg (224.53 KB, 163 downloads)

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Re: 216 question
Silverado_9c3 #1326466 Tue Sep 17 2019 02:50 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
The oil pipe in the center of the rockers is perfectly normal- - - -every 216, 235, and 261 for over 30 years had something similar. There's a small hole under that tent-shaped cover. The rest of the oil goes out the end of the pipe and drains back into the side cover, and from there to the crankcase. On a 216, no oil will flow to the rocker arms until pressure at the main and cam bearings reaches at least 15 PSI. Unless you rev the engine up, you probably won't see much oil at the rockers.

The valve at the thermostat housing is a cutoff valve for a heater hose. If you remove the two bolts above it, there's supposed to be a thermostat under that casting.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Silverado_9c3 #1326468 Tue Sep 17 2019 02:59 AM
S
'Bolter
Hey Jerry,

so is it ok that the pipe is jiggly and wiggly? It also appears to be contacting the rockers.

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Silverado_9c3 #1326469 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:07 AM
H
Pull the side cover and check the supply tube- - - -they're bad about breaking and starving the rockers for oil. If the tube breaks the oil connector can flop around. A little contact with the rockers isn't bad, but there should be at least a little oil flow from the holes in the top of the rocker arms, supplied by oil from that connector piece.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Silverado_9c3 #1326471 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:18 AM
S
'Bolter
I will pull the side cover tomorrow and take a look. I have had my 53 for 10 years and now 6 kids. Its been a slow frame-off restomod. I have had several cars come and go but that one I refuse to sell. I picked up this 1950 all original out of a preachers field north of Waco, tx and I got the wild idea to get it running and driving. everything is in its place and accounted for so I thought If the motor turns by hand it shouldn't be too difficult to make it happen. It has been really fun doing this truck all original. I just started with fuel, spark, compression and power. everything i have done stemmed from there. I have been Fixing what I find along the way. I initially thought I would quick flip this but over the last month, this truck has really started tugging at me. it seems even more exciting than the restomod I have.

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*

My Project Bolt

Silverado_9c3 #1326473 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:28 AM
H
The oil that lubricates the rocker arms comes from the driver's side of the engine, from a roughly triangular-shaped sheet metal cover near the oil pan rail called an "oil distributor". There is a copper line that goes diagonally through the water jacket that ends up under the pushrod cover. Don't try to remove that tube- - - -it's a one-time installation with special compression fittings, and the line must be replaced if it's disturbed. Some of the resto-ripoff places have a kit with the copper tubing and all the fittings that are needed to replace it. If the line through the water jacket is intact it's OK to splice it under the side cover- - -just be careful not to let the line rub on the pushrods.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Silverado_9c3 #1326475 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:57 AM
S
'Bolter
i am thinking the compression fit is gone and thats why this thing is moving so much. i will take a video tomorrow. send me your email in PM and i will send it to you.

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*

My Project Bolt

Silverado_9c3 #1326593 Wed Sep 18 2019 12:39 AM
G
'Bolter
Post it on the thread also, I wanna see.

Silverado_9c3 #1326594 Wed Sep 18 2019 12:43 AM
H
The dump tube is loose in the oil connector- - - -needs to be re-brazed or soldered. It can probably be done in place without dismantling anything if it's cleaned up well with carb or brake cleaner and blown dry with air pressure.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop