The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (D B Cooper, marzach, DougH6100, Brad Allen, Hambone, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,304
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
No gas in fuel filter. Truck won't start
#1325919 Thu Sep 12 2019 06:14 PM
V
New Guy
54 GMC 150 was a hard start last weekend when I got it but would run and drive. It did have frequent stalling at low rpms. Fuel filter that was installed by the PO was in the fuel line between the pump and carburetor. It was extremely dirty. Replaced it today thinking this could be my hard start issues. Now it is a no start issue. No fuel in the fuel filter whatsoever. Fuel pump looks like it was replaced "recently" (doesn't mean it's not still bad). Also read on here about trash in the tank. Removed gas line from tank side of the fuel pump and blew compressed air back into the tank. Reconnected and still no fuel in the fuel filter. Am I to assume that a bad pump is the culprit? Is there something I'm missing?

1954 GMC 150-24
Original motor and transmission
Re: No gas in fuel filter. Truck won't start
volsfan4life252 #1325924 Thu Sep 12 2019 07:04 PM
Socket Breaker
disconnect the fuel line after the fuel pump, put something there to catch the fuel... turn it over, if fuel is pumping out the engine side of the fuel pump, then that probably is not the problem(unless it's a tiny amount of fuel).

even if it won't start, it will pump as it turns over, if the fuel pump is working and nothing is clogged...

Also, the line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter could be kinked/clogged, double check that.

Let us know what you find out.

-Woog

volsfan4life252 #1326003 Fri Sep 13 2019 10:59 AM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Not to sound like a wiseass but does it have gas in the tank? I recently got stranded on the side of the road due to a faulty fuel sending unit. My tank was dry but the needle read full

volsfan4life252 #1326014 Fri Sep 13 2019 12:32 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Several issues come to mind. If itโ€™s the original gas tank..... heavy rust or lots of trash. Clogged lines.... easy fix, replace them all. Weak fuel pump...... search for a quality one not Chinese junk. Stuck needle/seat in carburetor........ carb rebuild. Last but not least, out of gas. Good luck.๐Ÿ› 

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
โ€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iโ€™m #2)
โ€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

volsfan4life252 #1326042 Fri Sep 13 2019 04:19 PM
G
Shop Shark
If the fuel pump is actually working, then its sucking air. Pull the hose off the pump, run it from a can of gas... If its works, your problem is b4 that. If not, its likely the pump. Make sure the connection from hose to pump is tight by the way, and that the hose is submerged in the gas..

volsfan4life252 #1326058 Fri Sep 13 2019 07:29 PM
V
New Guy
Thanks for all the information. The old fuel filter was full of what looked like rust so i'm thinking the gas tank is the culprit. (it does have some gas by the way) Ordered a fuel pump and a tank sender unit. Going to pull the tank this weekend and inspect. Clean tank out, replace sender unit, and attach new fuel pump while inspecting all fuel lines. This will hopefully do the trick. I'll keep you all upates and thanks again for the info

1954 GMC 150-24
volsfan4life252 #1326059 Fri Sep 13 2019 07:36 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
I recently had to prime a fuel pump by taking the fuel line lose from the carburetor and using a small funnel to pour fuel back through line. New fuel tank, frame line, and pump. Just a suggestion.

I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
volsfan4life252 #1326500 Tue Sep 17 2019 11:19 AM
V
New Guy
Gas tank has been removed and cleaned. Lots of rust. Removed sending unit and learned why the gas gauge wasn't working......See attached photo. The new sending unit I ordered online is coming today but looks nothing like this photo. This is what I ordered...

https://www.classicparts.com/1954-59-Gas-Tank-Sending-Unit-Replacement-Style/productinfo/23-525/

Looks like the PO either modified it or used some type of aftermarket without a float. Oh well.

Hopefully today after work I can get everything back together, put on the new fuel pump, and fire this bad boy up. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the tips.

Attached Files
senderunit.jpg (485.52 KB, 112 downloads)

1954 GMC 150-24
volsfan4life252 #1326518 Tue Sep 17 2019 02:14 PM
V
Shop Shark
volsfan4life, man what year so far huh? Big one coming up Sat, hope they're ready, if they are they have a chance.....

re. your fuel sender, That sender will work fine. I've got the same in my 49 Chevy 3100 with a 54 tank. Even though it's a top feed, once the line is primed up to the pump it'll flow on it's own with little effort needed from the pump.

With everything connected up remove the plugs to get the fuel pumped up to the carb 1st, saves wear and tear on the starter and battery. You might disconnect the line at the carb and insert it into a mason jar etc., then spin it to ensure you've got good clean fuel to the carb then reconnect and spin it to fill the float bowl. Then test fire...
Good luck
Dave

volsfan4life252 #1326777 Thu Sep 19 2019 02:36 AM
K
Shop Shark
I am having the same issue. Came here to get some advice. Thanks to all for the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop