The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (agedhorse, Pat66), 118 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,137
Posts926,798
Members42,560
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Selective memories #1325863 Thu Sep 12 2019 02:23 AM
C
coilover Offline OP
Shop Shark
When one gets into their mid-eighties you start losing family and friends at an ever increasing rate. Got a call on a close friend that passed and with which I shared many memories from hydroplane boat building to years of circle track cars but the first thing that came to my mind was during a trip back to the Twin Cities from the Knoxville sprint car track a jackrabbit jumped up and came halfway through the windshield of his brand new 56 Ford pickup. The last 100 miles I had to hold my shoes against the inside of the windshield to keep the wind from pushing it in. The very dead jackrabbit stared at me the entire time and never blinked.

Evan
Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1325886 Thu Sep 12 2019 12:08 PM
M
moparguy Offline
Shop Shark
Good Story Evan! While I'm behind you a few years I've started loosing friends that were part of many memories. Once we're gone our stories are gone, sorta like they never happened. I've often thought about putting together a collection of stories for my kids and grand-kids about my life. That's the only way those events and Saturday night tails will survive. Sorta like a picture and the current saying "without a picture it didn't happen".

Only problem is I'm about as far from a writer as can find. Also like a lot of journeys, it's deciding to take that first step that's the hardest. Then you actually have to take it.

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1325888 Thu Sep 12 2019 12:22 PM
Tiny Offline
Global Mod
When I was young I used to think it was macabre that "old people" always looked at the Obits in the newspaper first. Guess who does that now.....

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1325896 Thu Sep 12 2019 01:47 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
I attended the 55-year reunion of my high school graduating class last summer. We're getting fewer all the time- - - -pretty soon we can have our gathering in a broom closet! Of course, there were only 39 people in the Class of 63 to begin with.

I was the only one to show up on a Harley Soft Tail- - - -made quite an entrance among all those old geezers!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1325901 Thu Sep 12 2019 02:05 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
I worked in sales for years and my last job for 18 years. I am friends with a fellow employee and wonder sometimes where a certain customer is now then I realize that was 16 years ago when we left there and most of the customers were in their 50 to 70-year-old range back then. Losing those memories is sad.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Selective memories [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1325932 Thu Sep 12 2019 09:10 PM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
I attended the 55-year reunion of my high school graduating class last summer. We're getting fewer all the time- - - -pretty soon we can have our gathering in a broom closet! Of course, there were only 39 people in the Class of 63 to begin with.

I was the only one to show up on a Harley Soft Tail- - - -made quite an entrance among all those old geezers!
Jerry

Oh, you still got it going on, Jerry.
That limp ain't no gimp.
You a pimp! smile

Re: Selective memories [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1325945 Thu Sep 12 2019 10:24 PM
J
Jon G Offline
Shop Shark

Jerry

I got you beat, Jerry. There were 68 in our graduating class. About 1/3 of them are gone now. At the reunion there was a placard of all the departed. Pretty startling. But then there were a few who had aged really well and that was encouraging. What I've learned is looking at yourself in a mirror is a lot different than seeing an image of yourself (and people with cell phones taking pictures are everywhere). In the mirror I can usually find an angle or an expression that makes me look a lot better than I look in some unexpected picture...you know, mouth hanging open, eyes half-closed, dumb look on my face like I just woke up or something.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Selective memories [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1325987 Fri Sep 13 2019 03:56 AM
R
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark

Jerry

We were the class of '67 and we also had 39 people. At the time of our 50th two years ago we had only lost 2. A third one passed away shortly after that. As near as I know that's where we still stand. Not that bad when you think about it.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

One of the biggest problems facing the world today is apathy. But who cares?

Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1325996 Fri Sep 13 2019 07:24 AM
C
coilover Offline OP
Shop Shark
At reunions women notice way different things than men do. There were 78 in my class and at around the 50th or 55th reunion it was revealed there had only been two divorces. Now if anyone's reunion conversation comes up my Sweetie has to insert this fact into the mix. I just think it's normal. Jerry, I still have a 1958 BMW RS 600 that was my only transportation for two years of college but it probably wouldn't cause a stir since even back then it was considered an "old man's" bike.

Evan
Re: Selective memories [Re: coilover] #1326031 Fri Sep 13 2019 03:10 PM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Got our 60th coming up next year. I don't know how many are left from the graduating class.
But I do know that there are only me and one other of the old gang left standing.
Never went to a reunion before cuz I was a greaser back then and we din't fit in with the clique.
They were always the ones who organized the social events at the country club.
Suppose I could show up on my Bonneville T-100, but then they would probably still expect
me to be riding a hog considering the crowd I hung with in HS. Our social events were held
on a Friday night out in the woods at the back of the pasture with a pig roasting over a pit
and a barrel of beer on ice.
Denny G

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop