My thoughts after having my '53 model for 19 years:
1. Having a nicely restored truck is wonderful...except you can't really use it for what it was intended for. Enjoy a nice patina truck that you can fill the bed up with dirt or firewood, and not fret over every little scratch and door ding.
2. While I like original factory spec trucks, a few modern touches would certainly be nice. Disc brakes, electric wipers, electronic ignition. I am even opening up to the ideas of air conditioning and modern driveline upgrades.
3. Remflex manifold gasket does seem like a smart choice
4. Things go bad when vehicles sit in storage. Regular driving seems to make my truck behave. These trucks were meant to run and use, not show, shine, and perfectly preserve.
5. I carry a small can of starting fluid in the drivers side cab corner. Sure helps when it's super hot outside, when you shut the truck off and the fuel vaporizes in the carburetor. A 1-second squirt down the carb, hit the starter, and you're back in business.
6. 261 & 4-speed > 216 & 3-speed
Last edited by Green_98; Wed Sep 11 2019 10:57 PM.