The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (jorb, 55 SHAKER, BDammers47, FL_51Chevy, Maxine, 1 invisible), 352 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,476
Posts939,082
Members42,867
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DuckDuckGo #1321416 Sun Aug 11 2019 08:42 AM
C
coilover Offline OP
Shop Shark
I would put this on the ITT Short Bus but need opinions rather that tech advice. The DuckDuckGo search engine is supposed to gather zero data on it's users and was wondering if anyone had used it. Thanks; Evan

Evan
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1321418 Sun Aug 11 2019 12:02 PM
S
SimS Offline
Shop Shark
Evan;

I've been using the DuckDuckGo search engine for quite awhile. You just specify DDG as your search engine on ANY browser platform. It works great and no more focused advertising from web history. Also try the Cheetah Mobile browser on your Android devices. The CM browser is very speedy. There is also a Windows and MacOS version that I have not tried because I use Ubuntu on my PC and I use FireFox. I am Anti-Google/Chrome because of all of the history tracking and advertising. You will be happy with DDG and/or CM. Good Luck.

SimS

Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1325159 Fri Sep 06 2019 09:59 PM
D
Detroit Iron Offline
Shop Shark
DuckDuckGo has been my go-to Search Engine for ~8yrs. I swear by it. It respects your privacy, answers to your searches aren't motivated by ADs, or other monetary concerns, it's super fast. They also have a bunch of nice shortcuts for specific types of searches. A really great bunch of people. If you ask me. smile

Chris

@SimS
I'm with you; Google knows too much, already. wink

Chris

'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside ( Ol'Blue )
[img]http://boltbucket.org/img/OlBlue-C20-badge-64x64.jpg[/img]
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1325785 Wed Sep 11 2019 06:15 PM
Woogeroo Offline
Socket Breaker
I use duck duck go a lot, I have good results with it.

Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1325816 Wed Sep 11 2019 10:48 PM
M
moparguy Offline
Shop Shark
OK, you all convinced me. However my current search engine is Google with Windows 10. When I go to "set default browser" I get 5 (?) options and DDG isn't listed. With no obvious field to type in DDG I'm at a loss. 1's and O's are not my first language.

And advice?

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1326341 Mon Sep 16 2019 11:46 AM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
I just downloaded DuckDuckGo and on a second try and that is a record for me. It seems to be a clean application. My question, I know nothing is free so how do they make money?

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: WE b OLD] #1326348 Mon Sep 16 2019 12:27 PM
tclederman Online
Boltergeist
Originally Posted by WE b OLD
. . . My question, I know nothing is free so how do they make money?

from the Wikipedia: "DuckDuckGo earns revenue by serving ads from the Yahoo-Bing search alliance network and through affiliate relationships with Amazon and eBay."

How DDG generates income.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1326355 Mon Sep 16 2019 02:17 PM
J
Jon G Offline
Shop Shark
For what it may or may not be worth, I've used DDG from the start and I've used Linux and similar Linux-based free use products since the mid to late 90s. Not once have I suffered any problems with them (like hackers, viruses, trojan horses, etc). They are set up entirely differently than Microsoft products. Microsoft wants and needs to be able to get into your computer to (a) upgrade (b) apply patches and fixes and (c) well...I don't even want to think about (c). This is one place where the big problem starts. If MS has this avenue leading into your computer all Mr. Hacker needs to do is find it and he and all his buddies are in there also. Linux operating systems don't work this way. If an update is offered, you can refuse it and the old system will normally still be fine. Exceptions: if you have chosen to use WINE or other Windows emulation programs to allow you to install and run Microsoft products or Microsoft-based applications (which once was necessary for things like Adobe Flash Player), then when those products are updated you may have to install an updated patch or something. Today, the Linux boys and girls have worked around most things and some of the free applications (GIMP for one example) are well ahead of MS products like Paint 3D or such and some of the software has completely eclipsed anything MS has to offer.

Duck Duck Go and a few others (like Opera, SeaMonkey, etc) at least if you believe what was claimed when they were originated were not set up to be a huge cash cow. Having said that I fully understand human nature. As Mr. Rockefeller answered when asked how much money is enough..."just a little bit more."

Good luck but please don't worry about things like this too much. If my history is any sort of indication, you won't get burned. Not that I'm a computer whiz kid. I studied programming like anyone who took business courses in the 60s (and 70s I suppose), but I never really used that knowledge until the 80s when I started running specialty companies with small office staffs around the country and naturally the boss had to know the answers when things got sticky or stopped working. Since then I've participated on some Linux forums and I've learned these folks are both very intelligent and dedicated to their work in unique ways. Free use computing for these people is a passion, a challenge and privacy is paramount in their opinions. The other important point: Last time I looked, Linux use amounts to less than 2% of the computer population. Follow Sutton's Law...go where the money is. 2% is a waste of time to a hacker. Not only will he/she not get much reward, the danger of getting caught in a field that small is much higher.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: coilover] #1326356 Mon Sep 16 2019 02:19 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
Thanks, Ted but the old saying applies to me in spades, 'The more you explain it the less I understand it. But I do get the concept.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: DuckDuckGo [Re: Jon G] #1326497 Tue Sep 17 2019 11:01 AM
S
SimS Offline
Shop Shark
Jon;

Good points about Linux/Unix operating systems for the desktop. I'm a long time DDG and Ubuntu user. BTW I believe a majority of the internet web servers run on Linux/Unix.
As you mentioned the upgrade process and various free application software cannot be beat.

SimS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop