The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (moparguy, Hotrod Lincoln, NorthernSights, Harold41, D B Cooper, elhippie64), 279 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,474
Posts973,858
Members43,939
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: No fuel from tank
Kurt59 #1324785 Wed Sep 04 2019 01:30 AM
T
Shop Shark
The radiator shop here recommended that I use the epoxy coating. It seals any pits and coats the inside against any future rust. It holds up well to methanol fuel. I had this done about 4 years ago, no issues.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Kurt59 #1324812 Wed Sep 04 2019 07:31 AM
S
Shop Shark
I have tried just about everything. All the things posted here. But, I never tried the 1/4 nuts on a string. That is smart. Without the farm equipment to shake the tank(not a farmer) I have used an old swamp cooler motor with a weight bolted to the pulley. My version of a shaker. Strap to the tank and let it rattle the gravel and it comes out nice and clean. Getting the gravel out...is a pain. Nuts on a string..that is genius. Epoxy in the tank. Gotta be better than "Cream" that I used in old motorcycle tanks. New fuel messes with everything. Never did figure how to get rust out of the seams. Used 2 fuel filters, one just after the tank before the fuel pump and one just in front of the carb. Used the glass see through types and took them apart often to keep that crud out of the pump and carb. Epoxy seems a better idea. Older tanks have a bottom feed and a drain valve. Up to about 54 I think. After that the fuel feed is at the top of the sender. The sender is the same. The screw pattern is the same. So I have run them in my truck(52) just cap of the fuel line on the sender. There is no way I know of to clean out that varnish like stuff without removing the tank. And with the top fuel outlet, you have to siphon out as much as you can. No drain. Old gas is evil. It can stick valves. Clog pumps and mess up the carb. So I have learned to get it out and get it gone. Good luck with yours and let us know how it goes.

Steve H
Kurt59 #1324834 Wed Sep 04 2019 02:10 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
A length of chain. Whatever size and length is appropriate for the tank you are cleaning. That is much easier to remove than hundreds or thousands of nuts or pea pebbles. I was taught that as a teen by an old timer who repaired small engines. A garage sale bicycle and an electric motor can be turned into a way to spin the tank in the same way jerry did with his tractor.

Dan
Kurt59 #1324850 Wed Sep 04 2019 06:23 PM
L
Shop Shark
On most truck gas tanks there are internal baffles. These will interfere with your hope of adequately cleaning a rusty/dirty tank with many of the methods described in this thread. These methods, no doubt, work well with a small engine tank. The proprietary process called "Gas Tank Renu" involves cutting holes in the tank where necessary to obtain vision and access with abrasive media. The holes are closed by braising in metal plugs followed by heating with a low melting point plastic to form an internal liner. The outside is then lined the same way. I had this done on an irreplaceable gas tank for my Diamond T. Fifteen years later I get no sediment in my filter.

This process is more costly than replacing with a good quality new reproduction tank, which is what I have done with my Chevy trucks.
Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Kurt59 #1325025 Fri Sep 06 2019 01:35 AM
Master Gabster
"Most truck gas tanks there were internal baffles". In what year did this become true?

Kurt59 #1325039 Fri Sep 06 2019 02:24 AM
Shop Shark
non of my farm trucks or full sized vans have baffles
they are mostly all 50s, 60s, 70s vehicles
I've spent time working on most of these gas tanks growing up on the family farm
glueing tanks, prepin' other for welding or brazing, or simply cleaning them out from dirt and rust, etc...

if you drive on a steep hill in the field the wrong way you will see gas shoot out the fill spouts
some have only one tiny baffle to help mitigate this spillage from the slosh action, but nothing across the whole tank or in the way of a gallon of rocks in the tank to clean it out.
-s

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop