The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Eureka Jim, five-oh, Fox, DennisM, ccanepa50, 2ManyTrucks), 245 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,426
Posts973,542
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brake Drum relining and refurbishing
#1324787 Wed Sep 04 2019 01:41 AM
Master Gabster
I have seen posts wondering if brake drums can be rebuilt in some manner. In Hemmings there is an add by a shop called J&G Brake Drum Relining and refurbishing. To me this is a dream come true! here is a link to their site: J&G Brake Drum

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: Brake Drum relining and refurbishing
truckernix #1324790 Wed Sep 04 2019 02:18 AM
H
Boltergeist
More like a nightmare! Read their carefully crafted ads and you'll discover the only drums they're actually relining are very expensive aluminum ones that had a cast iron liner to begin with, such as the Pontiac Bonneville. I've yet to see anyone put a sleeve or other repair method in a cast iron brake drum and actually make it work. There's just not enough room to do it, and somebody would have to own a foundry and make several sizes of sleeves, machine them precisely, and then devise some way of pressing the thin-wall sleeve into a bored-out drum without getting it seriously out of balance, warping, or cracking it. Each relined drum would have to cost several hundred dollars just to recoup the parts and labor cost. Then there's the potential market- - - - -minuscule at best! Why do you think the brake manufacturers stopped making replacement drums for vehicles like the Chevy 3800 in the first place- - - - -shrinking demand, possibly?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Brake Drum relining and refurbishing
truckernix #1324817 Wed Sep 04 2019 10:52 AM
Master Gabster
I didn't read the whole ad at first but they do claim to work on truck drums too and they state aluminum and cast drums in their main page. I understand your explanation about the liner.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop