The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Shakey61), 339 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,543
Posts927,099
Members42,470
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BIG compressed air tank? #1324549 Mon Sep 02 2019 11:24 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline OP
Boltergeist
A local salvage place has a bunch of retired LP gas tanks for sale for $100.00 apiece. These are the average size residential tanks used to store gas, probably 350-500 gallon size. They're not damaged or anything, just out of date for use for flammable gas. I'm considering buying one and plumbing my air compressor to it as a big reservoir tank. Once the thing gets up to pressure the first time and the compressor cycles off, I believe the compressor would only have to run occasionally to maintain the pressure. Comments- - - -suggestions- - - -cheers- - - -jeers- - - -what's your opinion, O wise ones?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324559 Mon Sep 02 2019 11:57 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I would think that would be comparable to some of the commercial setups. Just a po boy version. Go for it.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324562 Tue Sep 03 2019 12:12 AM
2ManyTrucks Offline
Shop Shark
i did just that years ago for a small compressor i built
just a detail about safety that i had been warned about

apparently LP and some components of natural gas will dissolve into the steel of the tank, just a few microns into imperfections
if the tank was recently used, even if you 100 percent flush the tank out with air, leaving it sit for a short period or even overnight can produce an explosive mix of gases freshly released from the steel
so don't make that mistake if you want to weld or braze on the tank
do a fresh air flush immediately before and during any hot work
basically treat it as you would a car gas tank and you will be fine
-s

1430s, 1420, 9430
-2MT
Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324566 Tue Sep 03 2019 12:26 AM
H
Boltergeist
I'd probably need to weld a threaded bung into the bottom of the tank for a condensate drain. I always purge a gas tank with CO2 or nitrogen before dong any welding- - - -no oxygen- - - -no boom!
Jerry

Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324614 Tue Sep 03 2019 03:51 AM
H
Harold41 Offline
Shop Shark
Once the tank is up to pressure, the compressor will have to run to replace what you take out, so the overall compressor duty will be the same If you take out 100 cu ft the compressor will have to put in 100 cu ft. The potential advantage will be you could take out a large volume in a short period of time and then the compressor would take longer to refill. If you have times when you need higher air flow than your compressor will provide it's a good solution.

Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324621 Tue Sep 03 2019 05:02 AM
H
Boltergeist
I've got a good-sized bead blast cabinet stored away, waiting for enough air capacity in the shop to support it. I'll probably run two medium-sized compressors in parallel, feeding the single big tank. One's a direct drive that's currently on a 20 gallon tank, and the other is a belt drive unit that's on a 15 gallon tank with a rust hole in it.
Jerry

Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324624 Tue Sep 03 2019 05:18 AM
H
Harold41 Offline
Shop Shark
The other thing you'll see is the compressor off times will be longer and the compressor on times will be longer. Which will give you fewer starts. I've always thought the fewer starts and stops the better. Sounds less expensive than buying another compressor.

Mostly what soaks into the steel is the mercaptan odorant. You might get some rotten egg smell for a while. People who make smokers out of propane tanks burn them to get rid of the odor.

If I did the calculations correctly a 500 gal tank holds about 682 cu ft at 150 PSI. If your Blaster uses 20 CFM it would take about 6 min to lower the pressure to 125 PSI, 12 min to lower it to 100 PSI.

Last edited by Harold41; Tue Sep 03 2019 05:45 AM.

Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324658 Tue Sep 03 2019 01:10 PM
G
Grigg Offline
Driving around Amish country it's common to see several 500 or even 1000 gallon former propane tanks plumbed for compressed air out behind the barn.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324700 Tue Sep 03 2019 04:40 PM
H
Boltergeist
I'm also considering doing a conversion of a 4 cylinder gasoline engine into a high volume medium-pressure air compressor. That process dates back to the days when the entire front end of a Model A Ford was used to power jackhammers, etc. by cutting the front of the car off at the cowling area, and modifying the engine to run on two cylinders and compress air on two. A large air tank was bracketed to the frame, and the front axle, radiator, and cowl-mounted fuel tank and a tow bar completed the setup. The engine was modified so that the #1 and #4 cylinders ran on gasoline, and the #2 and 3 cylinders would ingest fresh air, compress it, and push it into the tank through a one-way check valve. The engine speed was controlled by a governor, which was conveniently able to be installed by removing a bolt-on piece of the timing cover that exposed the camshaft gear. Something similar could be built by using a Chevy II or Mercruiser 4 cylinder engine set up to run on 2 cylinders. Pressures of 100 PSI or a little more could be expected, or more if higher-compression pistons or modified combustion chambers were incorporated into the "compressor" cylinders.
Jerry

Re: BIG compressed air tank? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1324712 Tue Sep 03 2019 05:28 PM
D
Detroit Iron Offline
Shop Shark
An excellent use of the old LP tanks. Little to no danger if you "purge" the tank(s) ahead of time with some inert gas. I used to push a fat rubber tube into the exhaust of the car I was working on. Start it up, and shove the other end into the filler neck of the gas tank. So I could weld up/patch the leak in the tank. It's just a matter of keeping the O2 out of the mix. I've also used retired hot water heaters for the same task. They make great compressor tanks. The leak(s) are easy to weld up ahead of time, and plumbing them for (water) drainage is simple. People always say "aren't you afraid those tired tanks will explode"? To which I say no. They might spring another leak. But they'll never explode into shrapnel. Sheesh! smile

Anyway, no jeers, just cheers. A great find indeed!

Chris

'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside ( Ol'Blue )
[img]http://boltbucket.org/img/OlBlue-C20-badge-64x64.jpg[/img]

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop